Honored Contributor

Satellite phone with Hughes Net?

We have dismal DSL 2Mbps internet service through our phone company. I have signed up for Hughes Net satellite for internet with 10 Mbps, but I'm wondering about giving up the landline if we go for their phone package. Anyone have experience with true satellite phone? There is something special we have to do for 911 service. I'm just worried about losing a satellite signal in a bad storm, as we do with DirecTV. That's when you might need 911 the most.

Honored Contributor

Re: Satellite phone with Hughes Net?

Hi, depglass! I've never had experience with Hughes or other satellite phone services.

One thing that immediately comes to mind about 911 landline service:

In most locations even if you disconnect your traditional landline the provider will continue what they call a "soft connection" (at no cost to you) which allows 911 calls only. I believe it's part of a "Do Not Disconnect" program. for emergency preparedness.

So, you can keep at least one phone plugged in and know it's there for emergency calls. You can check with your provider to find out if this is true in your locale.

I hope that's helpful and hope others have info more specific to what you ask.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

These might be of interest:

FCC: Emergency Communications

link: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/emergency-communications

and

FCC: VoIP and 911 Service

(Voice over Internet Protocol) link: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/voip-and-911-service

and

FCC: 911 Wireless Services

link: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/wireless-911-services

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

I have Verizon landline service. If I cancel my service. It can not be restored. I now only have unlimited local calls. I use my cell phone for long distant. My internet connection has been a little on and off this week. I would not have a phone with VOIP. You may want to go to DSL Reports.com. They have a forum for Hughes Net. You can get an idea how well it works.

Valued Contributor

I have never used Hughes satellite phone but our internet service was not dependable with them. I would have some concerns as others have said regarding emergencies.

Respected Contributor

We have Hughes Net as our service provider only because it was the ONLY option for us. I am less than impressed, and if we could go with another provider I would but we can't. We pay too much money each month to have such rotten service. There are days it's not even worth trying to get online, and then when you do it can take forever to load anything. They do have their share of complaints.

Me, I will never give up my landline. Our cell phone reception is also spotty at best.

Honored Contributor

Oh great, RCG. I hope I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. What you describe sounds like our current service. I'm doing some reading up on above links before Monday.

Respected Contributor

Maybe you'll have far better luck than us. I can't recommend them to anyone.

Super Contributor

Don't drop your landline. If for no other reason, it's connected to your 911 address for emergency services. Especially since you live in the country, that's a safety issue.

We tried satellite internet for a while from Wild Blue Exede. It was before they upgraded their services. Before the 30 day trial we went back to AT&T DSL, even though we have frequent outages. Our speed is a little faster than yours - all the way up to 7Mbps!! I don't have any hopes for a faster internet any time soon - we are at the end of the line.

If you have decent cell service you might consider adding a tablet with 4G for times when your internet is down. That gives you access to news and weather in bad conditions. That's what we have done.