Honored Contributor

iOS tragedy- your opinion please?

I backed up my 3 handheld iPads/Phones before upgrading to iOS8, but now I seem to have lost a special sound file from my mini and phone. I plan to take them to the iStore tomorrow, but does anyone have a guess, based on my sketchy input, whether they may still be safe in the Cloud or the MacBook Pro or somewhere?
Honored Contributor

Re: iOS tragedy- your opinion please?

are they ring or text sounds which are the classics? I know on os7 there is a separate section for ""classic"" sounds.

try searching your phone for the sound as well chances are the file is there somewhere

try a google search for the answer to this. They could have changed settings on os8...

Super Contributor

violann when this happened to me with the iOS 7 update, I ended up calling Apple customer service as I was still under Apple Care with that iPad. I got a very nice lady who ended up going through the iTunes store customer service to give me back my 3 missing tones. It took her a couple of days...but for a first step, go to iTunes and look at your purchases and see if it simply needs to be re-downloaded. If you don't see it, and you do have Apple Care, call them and they'll be able to help you. Personally, I don't think the geniuses at the store are much help with this kind of stuff.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
~ Ian Maclaren
Honored Contributor

Actually I'm afraid I've lost the recording of the music from my DS and DDIL's wedding. It was the only copy. They hadn't even heard it yet. I'm hoping against hope that it's saved in the Cloud. Probably heading for the Apple store Tomorrow or Friday with all the devices.
Super Contributor

Did you do a back up to the cloud or to the Mac? Both still have the file, but probably easier to find on the Mac back up. All you need to do is find the location on your computer where the backup was made, open that folder, and look for the file you are missing. The reason it appears to be missing is because of the sub label. If the sub label shows as text, document, video...anything other than music, the file won't show in the same place where all of your other music files are. This is probably why you cannot locate it on the phone/pad. Once you find the file in the backup, then you want to rename the sub file name to a music file extension. Once that done it will show again. (Provided you have sync options established).