Esteemed Contributor

Need a new computer and would like advice

I am in need of a new desk top computer and want Windows 7 which I have had for a long time. My daughter told me all computers now come with Windows 8, can anyone tell me if this is true? I hate the thought of learning something new at my age and would like to stick with something I am familiar with. Your comments will be appreciated.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a new computer and would like advice

Hi Lindsays Grandma! I happened to see your post and wanted to let you know I just went through the same thing, only looking for a laptop. But a lot of the information I got might be good information for you as well, even though you're in the market for a desktop. My thread is titled "Tech-Challenged and need a new laptop - Help!" {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I got so much good information that I don't feel as "tech-challenged" anymore. You might want to read through some of the posts and see what is there that might help you with your search. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I don't do desktops anymore, but I'll say the main things that I'd look for -

Avoid AMD processors and go for Intel - i3 is ok, i5 is better, and i7 if you do a lot of gaming. Otherwise i5 is perfectly good and a lot less expensive.

hard drive - 500GB is plenty unless you load a lot of HD movies on your computer. With Windows 7, 4GB of RAM (go for DDR3 - most current) is enough, but 6GB would be better.

You will probably have the best luck searching the manufacturers' websites for something that still goes out with Windows 7. I know that Toshiba still had some machines with Win 7 last time I was there. Dell probably does, and maybe HP if you like that brand.

I do have one Win8 computer (laptop) and I just did stuff to make it look the same as my Win7 ones, so I don't even see all that silly tile junk. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to both of you, it helps a lot.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

Windows 7 is readily available just not at many discount places.

Look at the Dell, HP and sites like Costco (if you are a member).

I second ONLY buying an INTEL chip.

Super Contributor

I use Mac now, but I have read on the forum that with all windows 8.1 there is a button you can click on the keyboard and it makes your screen look exactly like it did on windows 7. Not sure if you have to click the button every time you logon, or there is a way to make it stay that way. I think it might be that little Microsoft icon key on the bottom left, next to the space bar? I am sure someone who posts here will know what I am talking about and be able to confirm. In fact, I've seen on the Q computer presentations, the guests of various brands show clicking on that button to make it change to the look of windows 7. Just can't recall the exact process.

As for learning something new, please don't ever be afraid to learn. No matter what age, no matter what the learning event is. Yes, there is a learning curve between windows 7 to 8, but the difference is really the things you know are in different places. And not really in difference places as much as the things you are used to clicking on look different. I think you may find yourself surprised at how much you really DO know if you started working with windows 8. Just need patience and an open mind. Don't be afraid of changes in technology, embrace it, and enjoy how the change works to make your life simpler in the long run.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy Dell desktop computers with Intel processors. I buy Direct. The company has a Member Purchase Program. It is a way to get a discount. I brought an XPS 8700 computer a few months ago, and a new monitor. Dell is currently having a sale on their monitors. I like a U2412M display paired with a basic XPS 8700 running i5 or i7 processor.

How to request a free Window backup disc under warranty. http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/DSN_331556/%7Bdoclang%7D

Member Advantage http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/6099/campaigns/advantage

Member Purchase http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/6099/campaigns/segmentor-usmpp?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=_eep&redirect=1

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you. A friend of mine who lives in Minnesota recently got a new PC when the one he had for years finally hit the dust and of course it has Windows 8. Well, his e-mails to me were hysterical because he was so frustrated with Windows 8 and now that I need a new one I keep thinking about his frustrations and I was getting nervous. If I have to go that route I guess it will work out.

Trusted Contributor

I recently bought a Dell PC Desktop with Windows 7. They do still sell them. I got a great price through my employee benefits plan, but the prices on Dell with Windows 7 are very good right now. I got an Intel Core Processor 8 gigs, top of the line system. I love it! It works fantastically and I am very happy.

Just go on the Dell.com website and put in you want a desktop with Windows 7...

Good luck and let us know what you end up buying!

Regular Contributor

I would NEVER go back to Windozz.......get a new Imac it comes with or has the capability of adding Windows..... so you have both OS's...... my neighbor has her own business and did this. I absolutely love my Mac.....