Super Contributor

Flash Device Stopped Working - Help!

I'm working on a large document and save it to two different flash drives every couple of pages. I just saved it to one successfully, then inserted the second flash and noticed it didn't light up initially. The E drive didn't appear on the screen at all when I went to "Save as".

I have also tried to insert the second flash drive into the printer's port. Nothing. I then tried to insert the first flash drive (with the successful save) into each port. Nothing again.

{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I turned the computer off, unplugged from the wall, and tried again. No E drive on the screen.

I scanned for malware. None.

I googled for possible solutions. A lot of what I read is too complicated for me to understand, plus as soon as I read "You will erase files when performing this operation" it made me run for the hills.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Honored Contributor

Re: Flash Device Stopped Working - Help!

Have you tried restarting your computer?

What type of computer do you have? Mac? Windows PC?

Which OS system?

If you are using a Mac, do a PRAM and/or SMU reset.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I think about your only choice is to reformat it and that will, indeed erase everything on there. Other than that, it could just be dead. Drives can die. I have several flash drives and yet to have one die on me but, knowing it can happen (with any type of drive really), one thing to do is always put important stuff in more than one place.

I'd also save it to at least one computer and then copy to the external. Don't just save it on an external and nowhere else.

I hope somebody else knows more and can offer a solution! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

"I turned the computer off, unplugged from the wall, and tried again. No E drive on the screen."

Oh, sorry Mz iMac - It's Windows 7 Toshiba laptop.

Super Contributor

chickenbutt - Do you mean the flash devices themselves are dead? Both of them? Or the drives in the computer are dead? Can both drives in the computer be dead? My printer works.

I don't have an external drive. I have only one computer and I've only had it for 3 years.

Honored Contributor

I did a Google search & found this PDF file...

Take Ownership & Grant Permissions for Entire Hard Drive

Hope this helps

Sorry, I know nothing about Windows PC

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Mz iMac said:

Hope this helps

I took a look at this. It is way too advanced for me to attempt and comes with a very strong warning about not attempting this on your own, that you can lose all permissions and have to reinstall Windows. Thanks anyway!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Mz iMac said:

Hope this helps

I use a little registry fix called "Take Ownership" It works with Windows 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, and XP.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vist...

Trusted Contributor

When a flash drive is plugged in, does it show up when you open Computer in Windows Explorer?

Super Contributor

On 9/20/2014 Caffeina said:

When a flash drive is plugged in, does it show up when you open Computer in Windows Explorer?

No, "E: drive" does not appear on the screen (as usual) when the device is plugged in and I try to "Save As" to E drive.

Oh, I see what you mean. No, it doesn't appear either when I open "Computer". Only C: and D: appear.