Super Contributor

A Laptop without Bluetooth....Seriously!?!

In this day and age with all the Bluetooth capable devices I was shocked to learn that my new HP Laptop that was a TSV on August 8th does not have Bluetooth capability. The darn thing has all kinds of bells and whistles so it never dawned on me that there was not Bluetooth capability. Every single PC/Laptop I have bought in the last 3-4 years, including the cheapie $200 model for MIL to just surf the Web and email folks, has it. Cannot believe that with all the other capabilities this unit has, that HP left out Bluetooth. And by the way, that great HP Support is really terrible. 18 minute wait for online support and then the person was asking me questions that didn't even relate to my problem and there was a 5 minute pause between question and answer, each one. Any suggestions on an adapter I now have to schlep to the store and purchase for this Windows 8.1 machine? Really starting to regret this purchase.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Laptop without Bluetooth....Seriously!?!

Take the laptop over to your local Best Buy. I believe all Best Buys have ""The Geek Squad"" station. Ask them.

HP support never told you what you needed to get bluetooth? Did you ever check HP's online tech support?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I've read that bluetooth is on its way out.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I've read that bluetooth is on its way out.

What will be the replacement?

Esteemed Contributor

Kinivo at Amazon has 2K reviews. See how this USB device works for most customers. Here is an Asus product.

Honored Contributor

I have had 3 laptops with bluetooth and have only used it once and very recently with a new wireless headset my company purchased for my use with web conferences. I use bluetooth for my phone and other devices, but I don't really find it a value-add for my laptop.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the input and yes, Mz iMac, I did try to work with HP online support and it was terrible! See my comments above. I can't believe they are touting that service as a wonderful perk that you now get with HP computers, it was totally a waste of time. In terms of using Bluetooth, to connect with other wireless devices, it is still the standard as other technologies are not uniform from one manufacturer to the other. I have just gotten back into crafting and graphic design and the newest Cricut machine has just come out with a wireless adapter that works via Bluetooth rather than a USB cable. Also can't use with my wireless printers. I saw the one on Amazon nutmeg3, but it did not say compatible with Windows 8.1, only 8 I believe. Does anyone know if it will work with 8.1? Thanks again for all your responses.
Super Contributor

Nutmeg3 I just found the Kinivo you were talking about and it does say compatible with 8.1 in the specs. The one I had found when I searched Amazon was an older version that was not compatible. Have used my prime to order. Thanks!
Super Contributor

On 9/19/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I've read that bluetooth is on its way out. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Bluetooth is far from on its way out. This is technology that connects everything together wirelessly. If anything, you'll see more things start to incorporate bluetooth type of technology into things. Think of "smart homes" of the future. Everything will be connected, from lights to appliances, etc., and all be able to be started/stopped from various devices.

To the OP - i am with you. This day and age you need bluetooth. To your point evening using the latest Cricut, its now connected through bluetooth. And as I stated above, we will see more and more things that will want to connect in this manner.

Super Contributor

On 9/19/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I have had 3 laptops with bluetooth and have only used it once and very recently with a new wireless headset my company purchased for my use with web conferences. I use bluetooth for my phone and other devices, but I don't really find it a value-add for my laptop.

Did you use it to link other electronic equipment to your Computer.ETC.???..

Those functions only need to be done once for each devise...

Without the link-up you will not be able to communicate or use the

device to its full potential...