Honored Contributor

Question about the iOS update

I thought that, with this update, texts from non iOS users would show up on iPads, Macs, etc. I just had a friend text me from her phone (not an iPhone) and it only showed up on my phone.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about the iOS update

iOS is for mobile devices

OS is for computers

Where else do you want the texts to appear besides your Phone?

Any problems you are having w/the new iOS update, call Apple Tech support and/or post your concerns on their tech support message boards.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thanks. I know the difference between iOS and OS. I thought that texts sent to me by non Apple users would show up on my iPad and Mac, in addition to my phone. Well, maybe not my Mac till we upgrade that later this fall, but I thought this update would allow texts from non Apple users to show up on iPads.

Super Contributor

That feature has been delayed. This iOS update is missing many of the features they previewed at the conference. Most have to do with continuity, and they are waiting until The Mac update is released next month to add those.
Honored Contributor

Thanks. I KNEW I remembered it correctly but then it didn't work and I thought maybe I was mistaken. It's the feature I was most looking forward to.

Honored Contributor

Ok, me again. What the heck happened to photo stream? Where did it go? I took some pictures on my phone and they never showed up on my iPad. I'll tell you, I'm always complimentary on the Apple updates, but im not a fan of iOS 8 so far. Herky jerky screens, apps crashing, hate the way the pictures are now.

Honored Contributor

Hi, gidget! I've been battling a nasty migraine since yesterday, so haven't felt like trying much in iOS 8 yet or researching the changes.

I did a quick look-up, though, and I think this discussion might fit the bill for you, answers many questions about photos:

Where did photostream and Cameraroll go in iOS 8?

link goes to: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6537671

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thanks for posting that link, dooBdoo. I hope you feel better. Wow,,there are a ton of threads all over the internet about people going nuts over this change. I haven't updated anything yet. Yikes, I don't want my pictures all placed in one place. I currently have them sorted by various albums. And it makes it easy to find. Sounds like the update takes all of your pictures and puts them in one place with no album. Hmmmm, maybe i should hold off until this all gets sorted out?
Trusted Contributor

Did you do the update on your iPad? You need to 1. Tap the Settings icon 2. Tap General 3. Tap Software update. I just did it tonight ......took about an hour.
Honored Contributor

On 9/18/2014 dooBdoo said:

Hi, gidget! I've been battling a nasty migraine since yesterday, so haven't felt like trying much in iOS 8 yet or researching the changes.

I did a quick look-up, though, and I think this discussion might fit the bill for you, answers many questions about photos:

Where did photostream and Cameraroll go in iOS 8?

link goes to: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6537671

Thanks dooBdoo- I printed all that and will read it some time today. And I hope your migraine is better today.

I haven't had much time to play around to see what all has changed. We've had an incredibly difficult week- some health challenges for my husband. I'll take some time this weekend and see what all the changes are.

I will say though, that the pages seem slower to load. I have had apps crashing. When I scroll on a page when I'm on a website on my iPad, there's a slight delay in the page filling in.

I like the new keyboard though!

Hopefully they'll figure things out with the photos. I read some of the posts on the link you provided and people aren't pleased and are as confused as I am.