Frequent Contributor

Apple officially launches iOS 8!

iOS 8 can now be downloaded, just in case you haven't heard!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Apple officially launches iOS 8!

I hadn't heard it officially. Thank You.

Do you know, is Apple Pay going to be exclusive to the new iphone 6 and 6plus or will it be available for any of the other models? I have the 5s and it seemed vague.

Frequent Contributor

On 9/17/2014 SUHSE39 said:

Do you know, is Apple Pay going to be exclusive to the new iphone 6 and 6plus or will it be available for any of the other models? I have the 5s and it seemed vague.

I believe at this time is only on 6 and 6 plus, but not 100% sure, maybe someone else knows for certain.
Honored Contributor

Read the other thread below of you have a Mac in addition to an iPhone or iPad. There a decision to be made during the update process and you want to make the right choice. It only affects you if you also have a Mac, running on Mavericks.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

ApplePay requires an NFC (Near Field Communication) chip, so it's a hardware issue, not a software issue. As far as I know, none of the previous iPhone models have the NFC chip, so they can't be used for ApplePay. I remember that was a big deal when the 5S/5C came out because many Android phones were already incorporating NFC chips and tech sites were listing it as a puzzling drawback and missed opportunity of the iPhones.

I do use my phone to pay at Starbucks and the Apple Store, but both of those stores use an app with a linked payment account instead of NFC.

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

ApplePay requires an NFC (Near Field Communication) chip, so it's a hardware issue, not a software issue. As far as I know, none of the previous iPhone models have the NFC chip, so they can't be used for ApplePay. I remember that was a big deal when the 5S/5C came out because many Android phones were already incorporating NFC chips and tech sites were listing it as a puzzling drawback and missed opportunity of the iPhones.

I do use my phone to pay at Starbucks and the Apple Store, but both of those stores use an app with a linked payment account instead of NFC.

That is correct. Your device needs to have the chip to make apple pay work. The 6s and the watch have the chip. So you would have to upgrade to a new phone to use it. Or buy the watch.
Honored Contributor

will wait that out

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not downloading this update because it takes up the rest of my memory. I have a 32 gig IPad and I have just enough free space for this. When the new IPad comes out, I'll buy it with the new update already on it. This download is too large.
Honored Contributor

I've read that iOS 8 really slows things down on the 4s so I think I will wait.