Valued Contributor

Desktop icons stay highlighted in Windows 8.1???

Just curious to know if anyone else with Windows 8.1 has this strange little "glitch" on their desktop (not the start screen). Whenever I open and then close anything I have on my desktop--shortcuts, folders, documents, etc.--the icon will stay highlighted until I click somewhere else on the desktop. Never seen this before on previous operating systems. Figure it's just another strange little thing with 8.1. Even the 2nd level tech support person I spoke to today from Microsoft (had another more serious problem) had never encountered this particular thing and didn't have an answer for it (he couldn't see it while having remote access). It's no big deal--just would like to know if anyone else has this happen. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Desktop icons stay highlighted in Windows 8.1???

Not happening on mine. When I did a search for the problem, this post was the only one I found describing it.

Valued Contributor

Finally found the solution a few moments ago. I've not been able to find anything on the Internet that would explain this, so I thought I'd do a little more experimenting. I couldn't remember if I had seen this behavior on the original theme installed by HP (I had almost immediately changed it to a theme I downloaded from Microsoft), so I changed the desktop back to that original one. No problem with highlighting. Then I went back to see what was different about using any of the ones I had downloaded and saw that they were "unsaved." Once I "saved" them, no more highlighting. Would never have thought not saving the theme would cause that problem.

Valued Contributor

Well, looks like my solution wasn't one after all. Next time I got on my computer, the highlighting was back. Turns out that "saving" the theme had no effect at all. Seems that just the act of changing the theme (whether to HP's original one or to a downloaded one) temporarily stops the highlighting, at least, until I shut the computer down. It's then back when I turn the computer back on.

I am totally at a loss to explain this behavior. As I mentioned above, the MS tech had no idea why this is happening, nor did the HP tech I talked to last night. It's no big deal, I just would like to know the reason for it. Is there any possibility that having my HP computer connected to my old Dell monitor could cause this? I know it shouldn't, but I've run out of explanations. Or, connecting via VGA instead of DPI? Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Anyone have any ideas? Would really appreciate hearing from you.

Respected Contributor

On 9/25/2014 qualityshopper said:

Anyone have any ideas? Would really appreciate hearing from you.

I don't understand why it's a problem?

Valued Contributor

Glb613--It's not a problem--computer is fully functional. I just wonder why it does this since this is not what should happen. Of all the things (changing settings) one could think of to correct this, changing themes each time I turn my computer on (whether I save theme or not) is the only one that works, at least temporarily. No need, of course, to go to all this trouble, so I'll just let it go ahead and keep the icons highlighted. Just wanted to know the reason for this behavior. I'll just chalk it up to being another one of the strange little things this computer does. (Have had a few other little issues that I've corrected, just can't figure this one out.)

Honored Contributor

Was it a function from your particular HP model? It is not coming from 8.1, and is not on my new HP. Just curious.

Respected Contributor

I found this doing a Google search:

"I've been searching the Internet for quite a while now for an answer to this problem without success, which is why I finally posted my question on here. Can't believe that after all of this, I just found the solution moments ago.

I never considered that it could possibly have anything to do with the theme I had selected from MS to use on my desktop, but since I couldn't find any other reason for this behavior, I thought I'd check out that possibility. So, I decided to put the theme back to the one originally installed by HP and, to my surprise, the icons no longer stayed highlighted. Then I again selected one of the themes I had downloaded from MS and the icons were highlighted as before. The only thing I saw that might cause the problem was that I had not "saved" the new theme. Once I did that, everything was fine. Had no idea that not saving it could cause this to happen."