Honored Contributor

I broke my Keyboard Kindle a few months ago and now...

I'm wanting to just buy a basic, simple Kindle.

Question: it doesn't use a plug to recharge like the Kindle Keyboard did, but a USB connection to a computer.

Does anyone have experience with USB stuff? I'm not technically savvy, and my BIL could help me learn this -- he's a computer WHIZ.

The Kindle Keyboard is no longer made and I really can't afford a Paperwhite.

I'd really appreciate any reassurance and/or advice {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: I broke my Keyboard Kindle a few months ago and now...

When I just looked a couple days ago the Paperwhite was the only e-ink kindle currently being sold new by Amazon. As far as your question on charging using USB, it's simple, just use a USB wall charger. I used the one for my ipad for ages with all my USB charged devices including my paperwhite and recently I upgraded to a 40w 5 slot USB wall charger so I can charge all my devices at once.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

It took quite a bit of looking but I did find it. I may just wait a couple of months and get a Paperwhite.

I'd give anything to get a Kindle Keyboard, sigh.

Valued Contributor

Love my Kindle Keyboard! I've never been tempted to get a ""new improved"" model! DH bought it for me about 4 or 5 years ago for Valentine's Day.

Honored Contributor

I have the first kindle that came out in 2007, the paperwhite such an improvement.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I'm on my fifth Kindle keyboard. Bought the original and it became defective and they have continued to replace the defective ones with refurbs. It's rather annoying setting up a new Kindle every time one decides to die. Each time they gave me a trade-in amount, but if the current one goes bad, I'm just going to buy a new one. Refurbs are refurbs.

Super Contributor

Amazon releases the new Kindles in the Fall, usually announces October, ship November if I remember. If you can hold out, you may be able to get a deal on the current Paperwhite if they upgrade it.
Trusted Contributor

DH has a Kindle Keyboard..I have one and we have an extra just in case...I don't use mine that much anymore now that I have an iPad Air...and iPod Touch..but it comes in handy when I want to read outside..no glare...and I actually think when I'm reading for a long time that its easier on the eyes...DW

Trusted Contributor

I am on my third Kindle keyboard and I love it. The first two were each replaced by Amazon for free because each reached a point where they would not hold a charge. You might want to check pawn shops to buy one. However, my son just bought a Paperwhite and it is amazing because the screen is so bright. I am going to ask for one for Christmas.

Respected Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Love my grandkids said:

It took quite a bit of looking but I did find it. I may just wait a couple of months and get a Paperwhite.

I'd give anything to get a Kindle Keyboard, sigh.

Love my grandkids, I have a Kindle Keyboard also. If mine broke I would definitely look on Amazon for a refurbished one.

Good luck.