Valued Contributor

let's talk TV's , we need a new one

Need a TV in our living room. Husband has COPD and can't make the stairs to finished basement anymore. This is where our big screen TV is located.

Looked last night and was told that plasma TV has best picture but doesn't last as long as LGD. Also it uses more current. Is that correct?

What is your favorite brand?

Honored Contributor

Re: let's talk TV's , we need a new one

I cannot answer the first question but I know John can and I imagine he will be along to help with that. He has a lot of good info in that area.

As for brands, I'm pretty brand-loyal and I like Sony and Toshiba. I also have some Samsung TVs that I bought for my kitchen and office (just little 19" sets) that are very nice.

One other tip - make sure it has enough HDMI ports to suit your needs.

Super Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't get a plasma, they don't last as long. Look for an LCD. I like the Samsung brand. I've had Sony, and currently have a Sharp in my bedroom. But the Samsung that is currently in my living room has the best picture and color of a tv I've owned. Even my friends who come over to watch various sporting events usually make a comment about a great picture on that Samsung.
Honored Contributor

I plan on buying a new set within the next few months. I will go with a Samsung, and most likely with at 60" or 65" 4K/LED/Full back lit set. If that is more than I want to spend I will go with an Edge Lit LED as Samsung has a "Local Dimming" feature that has been tested to work very well. Not quite as good as Full Lit, but this depends on the availability of these types of TV sets when I get ready to buy.

This will future proof our TV for some time to come down the road and if it needs to be upgraded I will buy a Samsung One Connect Box for it. These 4k sets upscale to near 4k resolution(which is 4 times better than the best now which is 1080p). While there is not much 4k to watch right now, the upscale feature will pacify me till that time comes down the road.

While I realize this is much more tv than the average person my want to buy, this is what I have in mind for our next tv set. These sets also use "active 3D" along with the ability to upscale 2D to 3D, which I like very much. Our present set is 3D as is our Blu-ray player, so I have several movies and documentaries that are in 3D and they look spectacular on Blu-ray with the "active 3D".

Others can suggest more modest sets for you, but this will be our next tv set not that far down the road. I always like DLP the best, but since Mitsubishi no longer makes home versions of this technology, I see Full Lit/LED/4K as my best option for now and the future.

No way would I even consider a plasma. To me those are in the past, even if they are still made, I see it as old technology and from my research the LED of the present reproduce better color/resolution and detail that the plasma. The LED also runs cool and is also very energy efficient to boot.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't get a plasma either. I like Sony, Samsung and Toshiba. My next TV will be a LED. I know it's none of my business but, why not move the TV upstairs? It's a much cheaper fix to the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a brand and/or model within a brand with a great picture as well as great sound-in the 40"" range and also in a small possibly between 19"" and 27-28""? I may be in the market for both in the not too distant future. I've seen reviews on some that indicate the sound quality is sorely lacking...and I love music so would be watching/listening to that a lot. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated!

Respected Contributor

On 9/14/2014 kittymomNC said:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a brand and/or model within a brand with a great picture as well as great sound-in the 40"" range and also in a small possibly between 19"" and 27-28""? I may be in the market for both in the not too distant future. I've seen reviews on some that indicate the sound quality is sorely lacking...and I love music so would be watching/listening to that a lot. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated!

No TV has good sound. You need to add a sound bar or other type of sound system.

Esteemed Contributor

My latest tv purchase after research was Samsung LED smart tv with three hdmi outlets, three USB connections and digital audio out (optical). I didn't care about the smart tv part but to get the other plug ins, I had to get the smart tv.

GLB613 is right. The sound on these flat screen TV's is not good. You need something to help there. I wanted to use a Bose Solo so I made sure I got a TV with the digital audio out component. Your choice of audio support on these tv's is another discussion. Some love Bose, others not so much. I love the simplicity of hookup and the sound is fine for me.

Good luck with your purchase. LM

PS ... My tv is now a year old. I love it and was able to calibrate the picture myself.

Super Contributor

We just bought a 70" Sharp Aquos, and a Denon Sound Bar & Wireless Subwoofer System. The TV is wall mounted above an 84" TV console and it looks wonderful. The picture on this TV is unbelievable and crystal clear. The colors are vivid and true to life. We had this professionally installed and got a full motion mounting bracket to be able tilt and move TV away from wall a few inches to clean. After 13 years of a 32" TV housed in a 5-pc wall unit, this is a wonderful improvement. Also have the option to have the sound come through either the TV or the Sound Bar or both. For movies and events, we do both. There is also a daytime/nighttime setting on the sound bar. Two years ago, we bought the Bose radio and CD changer bundle which sits a few inches below TV on the console.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, glb613 and Lilysmom, I thought that would be the case about the sound. I appreciate the information. I'm printing out some of the responses about computers and TV's that I've gotten here on the forum, for future reference.

I have a 38-year old console Magnavox TV that actually still works, although not very well--I've got to get it out of my house because I don't use it, but I hate to part with it! Isn't that silly? The stereo speakers are still excellent, especially the bass, which I love in my music! Those speakers can rival some rather expensive speakers made today, although not equal to Bose. Wish I could take them out and use them with a new TV! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Thanks also LuvMyBichonFrise - just saw your post!