Frequent Contributor
I am thinking about getting a Kindle Paperwhite. I just want it to read books. I do have the IPad Air, which I love. I want the Kindle Paperwhite so I can carry it with me. I don't usually take my IPad out of my house. I do have the Kindle app on my IPad but have not downloaded any books. My son who is 32 tells me not to .put books on my IPad. Not sure why. What is the difference between the 2G and the 3G? Can someone tell me which is the newest Kindle Paperwhite? Also, once I buy books can I loan them to my daughter so she can read them on her Samsung phone? Thank you.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Kindle wi-fi Paperwhite, iPad 4, a smartphone, and two Android tablets. The Kindle app runs on all my devices very well. You can start reading a book on one device and finish on another. I like the Paperwhite,because it is lightweight and you can read in direct sunlight.

I am an Amazon prime customer. I can borrow one book a month, and return the book when I want. You can loan a book from your collection for two weeks. You can only borrow books using a Kindle device like a Paperwhite or Kindle tablets.

Amazon only makes a tablet video app for Kindle fires or iPad tablets.

These is the newest Paperwhite http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JG8GOWU/ref=kp_24_tr

IMO, if you will be using your paperwhite at home. Do not buy a 3G device wi-fi is fine.

Respected Contributor

I have no idea why your son told you not to put books on your iPad. I read books on mine all of the time.

Respected Contributor

1. The Kindle Paperwhite is e-ink only (black and white) so if you want to download your magazines as well, this isn't the right model.

2. It has no speakers, so no Audiobooks.

3. 3G is a way to download books with no WiFi. If you are out and about and don't have a free wifi spot, or if you have no wifi at home, the 3G lets you download from Amazon with a free connection much like a cell phone. If you have wifi at home and can find free spots (like McDonalds or Starbucks, or Hardees, for example) you don't need 3G. It costs you more.

4. There is a cheaper version of the "Paperwhite" with no built in cover or a light (you can find a book light at any dollar store.) It is the Kindle Basic, the battery lasts for weeks and it pretty much does the same thing, only for a lot less money. It's $49 and completely adequate as an e-reader. I have one, and it's fabulous to tuck in the purse and have thousands of books at hand to read. I would not bother with a Paperwhite, as you don't get much more for twice as much.

Unless you need 3G (no Wifi) I'd get the basic.

5. If you want to read in color, watch video, and essentially have a tablet, I'd suggest the Kindle HDX, which is what I normally use (I have the basic for using at work.) It is twice as costly, but it is versatile enough to double as a tablet and even a laptop for travel (you can surf the web.) Again, it requires WiFi to connect to the internet to download the books, although you can also download via your computer and the USB port.

The "Special Offers" are ads that appear when you start the Kindle and are actually not a problem. It saves money and it simply is the splash screen until you go to the menu for what you want to read.

I hope this helps.

Honored Contributor
On 9/12/2014 Kathy19078 said: I am thinking about getting a Kindle Paperwhite. I just want it to read books. I do have the IPad Air, which I love. I want the Kindle Paperwhite so I can carry it with me. I don't usually take my IPad out of my house. I do have the Kindle app on my IPad but have not downloaded any books. My son who is 32 tells me not to .put books on my IPad. Not sure why. What is the difference between the 2G and the 3G? Can someone tell me which is the newest Kindle Paperwhite? Also, once I buy books can I loan them to my daughter so she can read them on her Samsung phone? Thank you.

3G is cellular internet so you can buy and download books where you don't have access to a wifi network. There is no 2G unless someone is using that term to mean second generation. The newest Paperwhite is the second generation ans is the one currently sold by Amazon. Personally I wouldn't recommend the kindle basic linked above, it's only available used and the Paperwhite is a better e-reader IMO.

Not sure why your son is telling you not to download books to your ipad kindle app? I have books on my paperwhite, ipad and iphone.

Kindle books are licensed for use on any kindle reading devices or apps that are registered with your Amazon account. I share my account with my daughter and husband and they have their devices and apps listed on my account. As far as lending and the Samsung phones, there is a lending program here is the link to the Amazon page on lending

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have the little cheapie Kindle with no backlight like the Paperwhite and I like it to take in my purse and read while waiting at the dr.s office. The newest Paperwhite is wonderful however and so much brighter and easier to read on than the older versions.

The Paperwhite is the tap-screen or swipt and the cheaper basic has buttons at the bottom that you push. If I were getting only one of these it for sure would be the Paperwhite. LOVE it! or

Respected Contributor

I love my paperwhite. Fantastic for reading in any light. Light weight and so easy to have in a purse. Easy downloads.

Honored Contributor

I just upgraded from the Kindle Keyboard to the Kindle Paperwhite. I love it. I really love having the backlight, too. It makes it so easy to read in bed and in dr.'s offices. I also bought the Kindle leather cover that makes it really nice to take with you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor
No you can not loan it. She will need to buy her own books. Go to amazon for the new version
Frequent Contributor
Thank you everyone. I did get the Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. I went to Staples last Saturday to look at it. They did not have it in stock and said they could order it. I told them that I was going to go home and order it from Amazon because I have Prime and will get it in two days. Wow!! I ordered it last Saturday and it was delivered on Monday. Thanks again.