Respected Contributor

I'm getting ready for a trip and I'm taking my iPad. I did a synch, looked at the usage through iTunes and it shows 8 GB used by other. What is "other"? I tried doing a Google search, emptied the mail, Safari cache and cookies and it still shows 8 GB under "other". I off load my photos and really want to have more free space. Does anyone have an idea?

Esteemed Contributor
Respected Contributor

I think it's game data.

Honored Contributor

Great info, nutmeg3!

Something else: On the iPad itself, you can go to Settings--->General--->Usage and see specifically what's using storage and how much. (Remember, some apps are storing a lot of data you might be able to remove, messages, games, videos, music, etc..)

Then, under Settings--->General--->About--->Diagnostics & Usage--->Diagnostics & Usage Data, you'll see all the information about performance, crashes, etc. That can use a fair amount of storage, too.

eta: At least once a day I clear Safari history and also clear cookies and data.

(If you want to look at the website data stored before removing it, look under Safari--->Advanced--->Website Data and you can choose "Remove All Website Data.")

If you use any other browsers, consider removing cookies, cache, data in those apps.

Periodically, when I backup my iPad or iPhone to the iMac, I erase everything and restore it to recover some of the "mystery" storage, but I only recommend that to those comfortable with the process.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

There is an app for an Android phone or a tablet called Clean Master. It cleans all temp files etc from a phone. This app is free. There has to be a free app for iPads and iPhones.

Esteemed Contributor

Very interesting discussion. I see several things I don't use that I'll be getting rid of! Thanks. LM