Honored Contributor

Have you used the NeatDesk Scanner system?

I would like any comments or advice you might have on the NeatDesk Scanner system for copying and filing paperwork. I have been interested in this for some time, and thought it might be a "good day" to ask! Wink

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you used the NeatDesk Scanner system?

The scanner is a great tool if you need to scan and save a lot of documents. My teacher daughter had me convinced we needed one, and I was all set to go to Staples to buy the scanner, until we learned the one thing that made it a deal breaker for us. When you buy the scanner, and connect it to your computer, you pay a licensing fee (over $100) for this scanner to work with your computer. It is mapped specifically to your computer, and will not work with any other computer unless you pay another licensing fee to add it on. If you buy the scanner for your specific use only, this is not an issue. However, it was an issue for us, as 3 of us intended to share the scanner on 3 different computers, which would require paying for 3 licensing fees besides the cost of the scanner. We changed our minds and did not purchase one.
Respected Contributor

I have the Neat portable scanner and I didn't pay anything extra. I've used it with both my iMac and MacBook.

I looked it up and if you installed the software on other computers, you need to buy another license similar to Microsoft Office. This is common on most software these days to prevent piracy.

Esteemed Contributor

I really need something like this but it is expensive for me right now. I am on the fence. I cannot imagine there would be a fee to use it but in this day in age most anything is possible as far as cost to do something.

Honored Contributor

I was curious about this and read something that it scans in their proprietary file format, so you will not be able to send/share it with anyone else. Also that if you need to reinstall the program for any reason it will not work again, {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Check on Amazon for reviews.

Sounds soo easy to use doesn't?

Super Contributor

its expensive i assume

Trusted Contributor

I have some version of the VuPoint Scanning Wand (E270279.) Don't remember which one. I absolutely love it. It scans to an SD card you put in it, just like a camera. The "images" are just like from a camera too. You can put them on any PC and then email them, share on Facebook, whatever. There is no licensing or anything else. I put mine in my laptop bag and travel with it. Never know when you are at another office, etc. when you will need a copy of something. Of course only if it's legal Smiley Wink

The only bad thing about the model I have is it runs on batteries and there is no AC option if you need it. When I want to do a lot of scanning I can go through a lot of the AA batteries.

KJPA
Esteemed Contributor

This is a link to NeatDesk http://www.neat.com/products/neatdesk/

Honored Contributor

I just received a new VuPoint Scanner that I bought from hsn. It is a portable one, but it also pulls in the documents or photo's automatically. The first VuPoint I bought you had to swipe it over your document or picture and whatever surface you used to do this? If you wanted only a photo you had to crop out the surrounding border of the surface on which it was scanned.

This new one pulls in the material you want to scan and does not need any cropping. It scan in 3 resolutions all the way up to something 10ft long. It also has a guide you can slide to make the opening the best size for whatever you might want to scan.

This also scans to a MicroSD card which came with it(8gb)along with software that will also allow you to have it automatically file into certain folders by name. Also has built-in Wi-fi and can be used to scan materials to a smart device.

The resolutions run from the low of 300dpi up to 1200dpi, in color or black and white. You can use it to scan both .jpg and .pdf files.

I haven't figured out all the software yet, but I can tell you that for my hockey league fees? I get all individual checks which I have always scanned so I will have a copy of what I was paid. This is for a "just in case" of a difference in what the player says he paid me and my proof of the actual check. Unfortunately I've had to use this more times that I would like.

Anyways with my flatbed scanner it's scan 1 check/open lid/scan another check/open lid. The only other way I found to do this was to scan 4 checks at the same time. Then I would have to go back and "crop" each one individually and also put them into the players specific folder.

With this new VuPoint I was able to scan them 1 at a time and on "lo" black and white resolution it would scan a check in a couple seconds. Then I just stick another one in the scanner. When I get them all scanned in I will connect the scanner, via USB, to my computer and place the scanned check copies into the proper folder.

Will be able to scan in all receipts and warranties without having to open lid/scan and so on. I have a feeling we won't have so many paper copies of invoices and other receipts lying around anymore. This is so easy to use and the fact it puts it directly onto the MicroSD card allows me or my wife to put the things onto the computer at our leisure, and not do the open/close flatbed dance any longer.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I have the neatdesk scanner. I move it between my laptop and desktops without any problem.

Yes, it originally scans to a proprietary file but you can export to pdf if you want.

I received this to use for work, it would not have been my choice for document scanner. Personally, the fujitsu duplex document scanners are awesome. They are true work horses.

I do not care for the neat software esp. for documents. They seem to geared toward managing receipts not document libraries. Oh well.

The fujitsu is about the same in price but not as proprietary with the software.