Super Contributor

iPad With or Without 2 yr Contract

Does it really matter. I suppose if a person wants to change carriers all the time, it might.

I took my Mac in and was told that it is not worth upgrading or fixing. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

My Mac is 8 years old and does have some problems. So, now I will have to get something else. Have been looking into the iPad Air.

Question: How do I preserve the things on the Mac that I want to keep. Pictures, documents, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: iPad With or Without 2 yr Contract

Know nothing about any type of "i thing or Mac", but I would like to think the computer would have similar features as the PC, which allows fairly easy transfer of files/folders from one computer to another or from a computer to any type of smart device that the capacity to hold all of this information.

Much nowadays can be done via Wi-fi or Bluetooth. There are many here that use a Mac and I am sure they will be able to give you more specificity in how this is done. Didn't see any replies so thought I would say something. Be surprised if you don't get some info on this topic that will help you with this.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Thanks, John. There are some here that have pretty vast knowledge and am sure will be able to help.

Respected Contributor

I don't think you can choose carriers after it is bought. If you want to get 3G, you have to choose ATT or Verizon. I don't think you can switch once your IPad is purchased.

You can also buy one that does not get 3G. It would be totally wifi.

Respected Contributor

On 9/10/2014 MaggieToo said:

Does it really matter. I suppose if a person wants to change carriers all the time, it might.

I took my Mac in and was told that it is not worth upgrading or fixing. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

My Mac is 8 years old and does have some problems. So, now I will have to get something else. Have been looking into the iPad Air.

Question: How do I preserve the things on the Mac that I want to keep. Pictures, documents, etc.

From your backup of course. Don't have one? You are asking for a disaster. Buy an external hard drive and copy/paste what you want to save.

Super Contributor

"Buy an external hard drive and copy/paste what you want to save."

Thanks, but can this be used on an iPad after info is retrieved?

Honored Contributor

Ask these questions at the Apple store,

an iPad is not a substitute for a laptop or desktop, a nice addition but not instead of.

Respected Contributor

Exactly as Jack says, iPad isn't a replacement. So if you can't get a new Mac and iPad , get a Mac and wait on an iPad . I have 2 iPads, standard and mini that I use all the time. My PC is just sitting here however all my important data is safely on it when I need it.
Respected Contributor

On 9/10/2014 MaggieToo said:

"Buy an external hard drive and copy/paste what you want to save."

Thanks, but can this be used on an iPad after info is retrieved?

Are you going to have a computer besides the iPad? You need a backup regardless.

Super Contributor

I don't have a contract on my iPad. I use my wifi at home (I have internet) or free Wi' fi when I am out and about. Why pay for it? I