Super Contributor

Cable Television and EAS (Emergency Alert System)

We have Charter Cable and 4 TVs which all now have cable boxes due to the system going all digital a few months ago. All of our TVs are flat screen under 4 or 5 years old.

It seems that when an EAS activates it has a tendency to knock our two largest TVs' power off and we have to turn them back on with the remote. It turns the TV off not the cable box.

We had an EAS yesterday morning around 5am and one of the TVs never came back on. It seems to have shorted out a main circuit or something. (We hooked up an almost brand new smaller TV that my mother bought just before she passed to the cable box and it works so we know the box works.) The problem is that the other TV was a 47 inch which is the size that the big family room needs.

Has anyone heard of this happening???

Honored Contributor

Re: Cable Television and EAS (Emergency Alert System)

NO...........but the noise that signal emits is enough to wake the whole neighborhood (Cox Cable)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

This sounds akin to and "override circuit" that is on most electronic devices. This device is to keep from doing serious damage to the component if a "surge" of any type, including volume is experienced. A person will find this is very common on more high end Audio Receivers to protect not only this component, but also to help prevent blowout of speakers not up to par with the this level of performance.

Many devices knock out the "auto-reset feature", which is to just turn the receiver back on via the remote. Most of these have a "total power off button" that cannot be turned on/off with a remote. It must be done directly on the component. I have seen some TV sets with this same feature. The TV set still works and was not ruined, but it does need to be turned back on directly on the set itself.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Oh dear. I wonder why/how it would do that. I've not had that happen.

We also have Charter and those damnable EAS things are (one of) the bane of my existence. I wish there was a way to opt out. Even if you are watching a recorded program it knocks you out of there and you have to wait it through. Not to mention the fact that the horrific sound it makes puts my tinnitus into overdrive.

But the worst part is that, nine times out of ten, it's some completely stupid thing like it might rain 200 miles from here. gack! (sorry - rant over)

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 hckynut said:

This sounds akin to and "override circuit" that is on most electronic devices. This device is to keep from doing serious damage to the component if a "surge" of any type, including volume is experienced. A person will find this is very common on more high end Audio Receivers to protect not only this component, but also to help prevent blowout of speakers not up to par with the this level of performance.

Many devices knock out the "auto-reset feature", which is to just turn the receiver back on via the remote. Most of these have a "total power off button" that cannot be turned on/off with a remote. It must be done directly on the component. I have seen some TV sets with this same feature. The TV set still works and was not ruined, but it does need to be turned back on directly on the set itself.

Thanks John, I'll have the kids try it out when they get home this afternoon. We did try to turn it on and off with the remote and only got the power indicator light and nothing else. The "no signal" message should have come up but we'll try turning it on again on the set and see what happens. Off to the vet I go with the fur kid now!

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 hckynut said:

Thank you for explaining that. We have to unplug ours for at least one minute, then turn it back on directly using the power button on the TV. That resets ours, allowing us to use the remote again.