Honored Contributor

Adobe today released an updated Flash Player that patched a dozen vulnerabilities ...

I just updated to v. 15.0.0.152 on my iMac (OS X Mavericks, 10.9.4)

article:

Release date: September 9, 2014

Adobe Patches Host of Memory Bugs in Flash Player

"Adobe today released an updated Flash Player that patched a dozen vulnerabilities, and also announced that a scheduled security update for Reader and Acrobat has been postponed to Sept. 15.

Today’s release, which coincides with Microsoft’s monthly scheduled security updates, patches numerous remotely exploitable vulnerabilities in Flash Player for Windows, Macintosh and Linux operating systems.

None of the bugs are being exploited in the wild, Adobe said.

Affected versions of Flash Player are:

• Adobe Flash Player 14.0.0.179 and earlier versions
  • Adobe Flash Player 13.0.0.241 and earlier 13.x versions
  • Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.400 and earlier versions for Linux
  • Adobe AIR desktop runtime 14.0.0.178 and earlier versions
  • Adobe AIR SDK 14.0.0.178 and earlier versions
  • Adobe AIR SDK & Compiler 14.0.0.178 and earlier versions
  • Adobe AIR 14.0.0.179 and earlier versions for Android

Adobe has given its highest criticality rating for Flash Player 14 running on Windows, Mac, Linux and Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 8. Flash Player 11 for Linux and Adobe Air for all platforms were given a lower criticality rating and administrators can update at their discretion, Adobe said.

The critical bugs enabling remote code execution exploit for the most part memory issues, including a memory leakage issue that could allow an attacker to bypass address space layout randomization (ASLR). Another six CVEs address memory corruption vulnerabilities that lead to code execution, as well as a use-after-free vulnerability, security-bypass vulnerability, a heap buffer overflow and another bug that allows a hacker to bypass the same origin policy.

Adobe had also planned to release new versions of Adobe Acrobat and Reader, but decided to reschedule its release to next Monday.

“This delay was necessary to address issues identified during routine regression testing,” Adobe said.

The update reportedly addresses critical vulnerabilities in Adobe Reader XI (11.0.08) and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh, Adobe Reader X (10.1.10) and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh, Adobe Acrobat XI (11.0.08) and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh, and Adobe Acrobat X (10.1.10) and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh."

link goes to: http://threatpost.com/adobe-patches-host-of-memory-bugs-in-flash-player

More from ZDNET: "Users may get updates to Flash Player from Adobe at this site and for AIR at this site.

Never get Adobe updates from any site other than adobe.com.

The new versions are 15.0.0.152 for Windows and Mac and 13.0.0.244 for the Adobe Flash Player Extended Support Release. The new Linux version is 11.2.202.406. The new version of the Adobe AIR desktop runtime, SDK and SDK and Compiler 15.0.0.249. The new version of Adobe AIR for Android 15.0.0.252.

To fix the integrated Flash Players in them, Google will likely release updated Chrome versions today, and Microsoft will likely release updates to Internet Explorer as part of the general Patch Tuesday release."

link: http://www.zdnet.com/adobe-patches-flash-player-7000033486/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ""Adobe today released an updated Flash Player that patched a dozen vulnerabilities ... ""

My Window 7 computer updated itself sometime today. I have Abode set to auto.

Thank's for the info.

Honored Contributor

Re: ""Adobe today released an updated Flash Player that patched a dozen vulnerabilities ... ""

On 9/9/2014 nutmeg3 said:

My Window 7 computer updated itself sometime today. I have Abode set to auto.

Thank's for the info.

You're welcome, nutmeg!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thank you for this info, DooB! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Good . thanks for the info

Honored Contributor

I've had Windows Updates ready this morning in both Win7 and Win8 computers and both had Adobe Air in them.

I went to Adobe to check 'current version' for Flash Player (on my Win8 computer, because that's where I am right now) and it told me that 'Flash player is integrated in IE with Win8'. I had no idea. Aside from IE I use Chrome so I guess it has whatever it needs too. There was also a Chrome update available today.

So I guess now that means that Adobe updates will come with Windows Updates. That makes it easy because I worry about the fake adobe updates out there.

PS: I don't EVER have Windows Updates set to just download & install on their own. I keep it where it lets me know that there are updates and I allow the downloading and installing.

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, MJ and Meeras!

I agree with everything you said, chickenbutt (as usual!Wink)!

Honored Contributor

Hey dooB!

I'm back on a Windows 7 computer this morning, and noticed that the Adobe Flash Player is still a separate entity. I use Secunia PSI, so it tells me of Adobe (and other) updates available and I don't have to worry that it's a fake. Great (free) program. Smiley Happy

Weird how, with Windows 8, it's a part of IE. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. All of a sudden lately I cannot even use my webmail effectively in IE and I use a Chrome browser for that now. I'm kind of bummed about that and hope that either IE or ATT/Yahoo fixes those problems because I liked having one email address logged in on IE and another one on Chrome. Now I can just be logged in to one at a time. (minor problem, but annoying all the same)

Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 chickenbutt said:

Hey dooB!

I'm back on a Windows 7 computer this morning, and noticed that the Adobe Flash Player is still a separate entity. I use Secunia PSI, so it tells me of Adobe (and other) updates available and I don't have to worry that it's a fake. Great (free) program. Smiley Happy

Weird how, with Windows 8, it's a part of IE. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not. All of a sudden lately I cannot even use my webmail effectively in IE and I use a Chrome browser for that now. I'm kind of bummed about that and hope that either IE or ATT/Yahoo fixes those problems because I liked having one email address logged in on IE and another one on Chrome. Now I can just be logged in to one at a time. (minor problem, but annoying all the same)

Hey, right back atcha, chickenbutt!Smile

Agreed, it can be confusing with the changes and the inconsistencies. I have Chrome as a sort of backup, troubleshooting browser and I did notice they add the Flash Player updates automatically. Whenever I can, I also like to get a notice of available updates and then decide when and how to install them. I'm sorry you're having those email problems. I normally stick with Firefox as my preferred browser (and I'm not a fan of Windows or IE ... once I switched over to Macs that was a deciding factor for me).

Honored Contributor

Sidebar: Firefox issued an update, current version 32.0.1.