Not applicable

Acer tablet 24/7 Lifetime Tech Support is a lie.

After 9hrs & 45mins (that's just today) of trying to contact Acer Tech Support; actually getting thru ONCE (8 hrs into this) after waiting on hold for 35 mins that call was disconnected mid-tech speaking, at the 1 hr mark. The 1 hr mark is when the customer is automatically disconnected – I found that out the times I waited online for an hour - it's exactly 60 minutes when customers waiting online are disconnected. I redialed, was on hold again for an hour and was disconnected without attack every even picking up. I have set up the tablet, my only need for tech support is to register the device because when I attempt to register it accepts it and then tells me to verify the registration in the Acer email acct, which is set up, but like me, the tech was unable to locate acer email itself. It does not exist in the Acer portal or anywhere else. He suggested that I use a Gmail or Hotmail or some other email account to receive that verification. However, the Acer tablet will only accept and allow registration via a users acer.com email address. My point: The selling point used to hawk this tablet was the fact that it had 24/7, lifetime tech-support. I'm going to return this tablet because it's for a family member and I'm not going to subject them to nonexistent tech-support. I know it is buyer beware and it's not the first time the product to QVC has had to be returned because the product was faulty, did not work at all, arrived in broken pieces, or replacement parts were not available.
Honored Contributor

Re: Acer tablet 24/7 Lifetime Tech Support is a lie.

My acer tablet arrived yesterday. I unpacked it - little flyer about 24/7 lifetime tech support IS a fabrication b/c it says that the ONLY tech support is for setup of account and/or email/gmail account.

Manual included? this is a HUGE JOKE!!!! There is NO manual included. I ended up logging into my acer computer, dug, dug, DUG for the manual online to download. I FINALLY found it to help me get my tablet going. Supposed to be a simple quick process especially if you already have a Google account which I do. Tablet says you can EITHER sign in WITH your same gmail password via WIFI or not via WIFI. I attempted this via WIFI and it DID NOT WORK.

All of a sudden I found that I made it 'in'. Did some things, found it easy to do stuff HOWEVER when I attempted to send my Sis a quick email on my new tab, it said I had no access. So I STILL have no internet nor gmail access, planned to phone Tech Support today. Not sure what's going to happen there.

VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! And I have gmail already. The camera has VERY fuzzy pics, can't set up anything for camera useage - it's either not there or I haven't found it yet. Not sure what's going to happen with this. Not happy.

I may end up returning my tab too - we'll see. If I cannot get hooked up, back it will go. My Sis are already acer/gmail gals which is why we both bought one of these. We also have a LePan 8" tab coming to now compare. We're hoping to get one of these & actually use one, return the other.

And oh BTW, when I attempted in the actual ACER store online to find the manual, they are selling this EXACT tab in their store for only $79.00!!!!! I thought we got a deal via the Q for this tab but obviously not!

Where's the SD card? They couldn't see fit to include this in our package either!

Valued Contributor

When my Acer tablet died within 1 year, I replaced it with an Asus. I have not had any problems at all. I would not get another Acer. JMO Good luck, as I did not have any luck with customer service when the Acer just died.

Honored Contributor

Acer tablet 24/7 Lifetime Tech Support is a lie.

Is your nic also stretching the truth whom you usually are when you post here?

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Beauty$Junkie said:

When my Acer tablet died within 1 year, I replaced it with an Asus. I have not had any problems at all. I would not get another Acer. JMO Good luck, as I did not have any luck with customer service when the Acer just died.

I haven't posted on this forum before, but I ordered the Acer tablet and then changed my mind and cancelled it. I'm glad now that I did. My son had an Acer computer for 4 years and had no problems...now the motherboard is "dead".

Can you tell me if ASUS is a brand by itself - or part of another well known company? The reason I ask is that I ordered the Dell TSV this weekend, but then started doing some research based on some things I read on this forum. It's not what it was cracked up to be apparently, so have tried to cancel. They said the computers are not made yet, but it was "too far along in the shipping process to cancel" - are they kidding? They said they would start making these computers yesterday...CS sent it to Corporate to cancel it. I had better not get this computer!

I'm looking for another computer now, and I have seen the ASUS brand quite a bit. Can you tell me your opinion about the tablet and/or their customer service? Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Honored Contributor

On 9/9/2014 kittymomNC said:

I haven't posted on this forum before, but I ordered the Acer tablet and then changed my mind and cancelled it. I'm glad now that I did. My son had an Acer computer for 4 years and had no problems...now the motherboard is "dead".

Can you tell me if ASUS is a brand by itself - or part of another well known company? The reason I ask is that I ordered the Dell TSV this weekend, but then started doing some research based on some things I read on this forum. It's not what it was cracked up to be apparently, so have tried to cancel. They said the computers are not made yet, but it was "too far along in the shipping process to cancel" - are they kidding? They said they would start making these computers yesterday...CS sent it to Corporate to cancel it. I had better not get this computer!

I'm looking for another computer now, and I have seen the ASUS brand quite a bit. Can you tell me your opinion about the tablet and/or their customer service? Thanks for anything you can tell me.

Hi kittymomNC

Welcome to the Electronics Talk Forum. Asus has been around for years and is a well known company by anyone that knows much about computers. They have for years made the mother boards for many major brand computer companies, along with much of the internal hardware for them.

I can't speak about how long they have been selling their own brand of computers, but I can tell you that knowing the company, they would not put out a piece of junk. My guess is they will use their own hardware to build these computers and if the BIG companies go to them for these things.

Should and when I upgrade our computer, Asus is definitely one of them I would certainly look at to compare parts and prices. I only buy from manufacturers because I want a computer built to the specs for me, not one that comes with lots of "do-dads" and software that I more than likely would never use.

I would not be the least concerned about buying an ASUS if they have the price and the components for our next computer.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/9/2014 hckynut said:
On 9/9/2014 kittymomNC said:

Hi kittymomNC

Welcome to the Electronics Talk Forum. Asus has been around for years and is a well known company by anyone that knows much about computers. They have for years made the mother boards for many major brand computer companies, along with much of the internal hardware for the.

I can't speak about how long they have been selling their own brand of computers, but I can tell you that knowing the company, they would not put out a piece of junk. My guess is they will use their own hardware to build these computers and if the BIG companies go to them for these things.

Should and when I upgrade our computer, Asus is definitely one of them I would certainly look at to compare parts and prices. I only buy from manufacturers because I want a computer built to the specs for me, not one that comes with lots of "do-dads" and software that I more than likely would never use.

I would not be the least concerned about buying an ASUS if they have the price and the components for our next computer.

Thanks, John. I really appreciate the information. I'm pretty "tech challenged" when it comes to the latest technology -- people would never believe I used to run a Human Resources Computer System for a very large corporation, "back in the day" when the computer took up a room almost as big as my house! I remember when the first "personal computer" came to our company...we were so excited! But I'm retired now, and technology has gone so far past me, I don't even want to catch up.

However, my son needs a new computer and since I had Dells at work for the last years I was working and I've personally had a Dell desktop for the last five years with no problems whatever, I thought the TSV might be good. But I'm so glad I did some research.

In looking online, I did see a lot of the Asus computers, but since I haven't been in the market for one in a long time, I didn't recognize the name. I didn't even know about Acers until I got one for my son 4 years ago from HSN--he talked to some students at one of the big universities near us and so many of them used Acers, we thought we did the right thing. And no problems until now. So we're just trying to decide what he needs and the right brand and support service. I can cover him for virus protection with mine.

Again, thanks for the help. Anyone else who has any other good suggestions or info, I will certainly appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

I'm jumping in again to report much better success with my Acer tablet. I did a factory reset to totally start over AND hooked up with my sister who also rcvd her's 2 days ago. My huge stupid on my part problem was the fact that I initially did not use the correct password to start up. Sis got me on the right track and BOOM we were both IN!!!

With a little time & checking I also was able to figure out how to edit/adjust the quality of my photos. BOOM - much nicer pictures!!!

I've uploaded 3 apps so far - BOOM! They work perfectly - QVC's is the easiest to use.

I am still figuring out the email/google apps though. Sis & I are hooking back up on the phone to talk/walk thru these. She definitely is more a tekkie than I am and is very helpful.

So while she & I are learning & enjoying our Acer tabs, we are still deciding to keep & love - or not.

Valued Contributor

Yep, my husband was on hold for 50 minutes today before getting to talk with someone at the highly-advertised tech support; sure wasn't anything like the on-air demonstration. Also cannot believe there was no manual with the tablet. Does anyone out there have a link to the instruction manual they can post so I can download same? I called QVC Customer Support but the lengthy link she read to me did not work, and there is nothing online any longer for this item to access. Any help will be appreciated, and hopefully the Q will read this thread and get us better and quicker tech support!

Respected Contributor

I haven't bought a computer or tablet with an included manual for decades. If you need one, do a Google search and download it. There are also tutorials at YouTube for almost everything.