Valued Contributor

Virus Removal - Please Help! Need Website Recommendations For Removal

I was googling for a site that streamed live east coast feeds of television shows. One of the places I clicked gave my laptop a virus.

I did a system restore hoping it would eliminate the virus, but no luck.

I checked Norton.com. They have a virus removal program for $19.99 a month, plus a one-time set up fee of $69.99. It gives you unlimited virus removal, but it doesn't say for how long you have to stay in the program. Then in another area it says Spyware and Virus Removal Service for $99.99, which is a one-time service. I can't find a phone number, or online help to answer any of my questions. I'm also afraid to click on some things, because the virus re-directs me to other places.

Dell.com will also remove viruses for a fee.

I don't know any other legitimate sites to call for an estimate.

Can anyone recommend a website that does virus removal "remotely"? I'd prefer to not have to take it any place.

Thank You

Super Contributor

Re: Virus Removal - Please Help! Need Website Recommendations For Removal

Norton is the best of the best; we pay an annual fee.

Respected Contributor

Avast is free download. Get some malware stuff too, malwarebytes. Run every week.
Trusted Contributor

malwarebytes anti malware is great!

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for Norton... and Microsoft essentials.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

I have malwarebytes. It's been fine for quite awhile, but it didn't prevent me from getting this virus.

I was thinking I would purchase the Norton 360 for protection, but I first need to get the virus removed.

Do either of you Norton users have a customer service phone number for them?

Honored Contributor

With my last computer, I went to office max and bought a disc there. It was around $100 and it was guaranteed to work or your money back. It didn't work on my computer, so back it went. I took it to best buy and the geek squad fixed it fit for around the same price.
Super Contributor

On 9/7/2014 CaliKat said:

I have malwarebytes. It's been fine for quite awhile, but it didn't prevent me from getting this virus.

I was thinking I would purchase the Norton 360 for protection, but I first need to get the virus removed.

We have Norton 360. Looks like on their site, under Support, you have to fill in a form to obtain a phone number to call an agent.

Trusted Contributor

If you have the free Malwarebytes, it doesn't prevent viruses. Try running it, but make sure it's updated first.

Esteemed Contributor

I was googling for a site that streamed live east coast feeds of television shows. One of the places I clicked gave my laptop a virus.

I have a feeling you have some malware. Try using Hitman Pro , Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware . If you are still having a problem, find a local tech in your area.

I am using free Avast and Hitman pro. I think you should be fine with real time Malwarebytes and Avast.