Honored Contributor

Whoever thought that was a good idea in the first place?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Hi, Ford! Steve Wozniak said quite publicly in 2012 that he didn't think so. (eta: I still have managed to stay away from using cloud services. I really don't like the concept, even though I understand its uses -- or maybe because I understand ... {#emotions_dlg.unsure})

Some of his comments: "Wozniak opened up in an audience Q&A about his concerns, predicting that cloud is “going to be horrendous. I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next five years.”

Wozniak also warned that “with the cloud, you don’t own anything. You already signed it away.” Instead, he urged that more data and applications remain local. “I want to feel that I own things. A lot of people feel, ‘Oh, everything is really on my computer,’ but I say the more we transfer everything onto the web, onto the cloud, the less we’re going to have control over it.”

(I took this from Forbes, but there were multitudes of articles about his opinion. Link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/joemckendrick/2012/08/06/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-distrusts-the-c...)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thanks dooBdoo, I will read that article. I have never utilized any backup to the web programs. I'm sure there's stuff of mine out there, but certainly nothing I ever put there deliberately. I use Clickfree and backup about every two weeks.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 9/2/2014 Ford1224 said:

Thanks dooBdoo, I will read that article. I have never utilized any backup to the web programs. I'm sure there's stuff of mine out there, but certainly nothing I ever put there deliberately. I use Clickfree and backup about every two weeks.

You're welcome, Ford. That's not necessarily the best or most complete article that was published upon his Q&A comments, but you can easily find more detailed discussions. What I really don't like are the attempts to force us to use the cloud. Apple has tried it a couple of times, and each time there's been a lot of push-back and they've amended their ways ... but I fear that's short-lived.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor
On 9/2/2014 dooBdoo said:

You're welcome, Ford. That's not necessarily the best or most complete article that was published upon his Q&A comments, but you can easily find more detailed discussions. What I really don't like are the attempts to force us to use the cloud. Apple has tried it a couple of times, and each time there's been a lot of push-back and they've amended their ways ... but I fear that's short-lived.

I've never used any Apple products and don't intend to. I don't understand why they would not listen to Steve Wozniak, of all people. I have always been happy with my PCs. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor
On 9/2/2014 Ford1224 said: I've never used any Apple products and don't intend to. I don't understand why they would not listen to Steve Wozniak, of all people. I have always been happy with my PCs. Smile

I'm glad you're pleased with your PCs. However, some of that comes from being as tech-savvy as you are.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} They require a ton of work and diligence Apple devices don't require ... but that's another topic, for sure. I'm equally fond of my Apple products, have been for a long, long time, home office and business. I'm also equally happy we all have a choice.Wink

Wozniak had long-since retired from Apple and wasn't a part of the iCloud development. Too bad he wasn't there, he might've talked some sense into them.

Honored Contributor
On 9/2/2014 dooBdoo said: <blockquote class="quote_author">On 9/2/2014 Ford1224 said: I've never used any Apple products and don't intend to. I don't understand why they would not listen to Steve Wozniak, of all people. I have always been happy with my PCs. Smile

I'm glad you're pleased with your PCs. However, some of that comes from being as tech-savvy as you are.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} They require a ton of work and diligence Apple devices don't require ... but that's another topic, for sure. I'm equally fond of my Apple products, have been for a long, long time, home office and business. I'm also equally happy we all have a choice.Wink

Wozniak had long-since retired from Apple and wasn't a part of the iCloud development. Too bad he wasn't there, he might've talked some sense into them.

Well, Apple wasn't even around when I started using an IBM two floppy drives PC, where one had to insert the 5-1/4" system disk in one slot and the data disk in the other, LOL!! I admit I "grew up" with DOS and PCs, and later Windows, and never learned anything about Macintoshes when they came out.

My youngest daughter is a Mac user and she's tried over the years to convert me, but I've never taken the bait. I don't know which product is better . . . certainly the world sees Apple products as the best, so I assume they are.

As you said, it's what one is used to. I hardly ever have problems with my computers because I know the basics so well, I'm careful, I never "leave the front door open," so to speak. I admit, I do hate Windows 8 and 8.1 with a passion though, and can't wait until the next (hopefully better) version comes out.

BTW, I heard Apple isn't going to offer the iPad 9 next, but skip to a newer technology. Have you heard that?

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

Another way of your every move being tracked.

Super Contributor
On 9/2/2014 dooBdoo said: <blockquote class="quote_author">On 9/2/2014 Ford1224 said: I've never used any Apple products and don't intend to. I don't understand why they would not listen to Steve Wozniak, of all people. I have always been happy with my PCs. Smile

Well, Apple wasn't even around when I started using an IBM two floppy drives PC, where one had to insert the 5-1/4" system disk in one slot and the data disk in the other, LOL!! I admit I "grew up" with DOS and PCs, and later Windows, and never learned anything about Macintoshes when they came out.

My youngest daughter is a Mac user and she's tried over the years to convert me, but I've never taken the bait. I don't know which product is better . . . certainly the world sees Apple products as the best, so I assume they are.

As you said, it's what one is used to. I hardly ever have problems with my computers because I know the basics so well, I'm careful, I never "leave the front door open," so to speak. I admit, I do hate Windows 8 and 8.1 with a passion though, and can't wait until the next (hopefully better) version comes out.

BTW, I heard Apple isn't going to offer the iPad 9 next, but skip to a newer technology. Have you heard that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a Dell desktop and a Dell Laptop.... My daughter
who is a Professor was on my case telling me that I should
have got an Apple. That most of the Profs at the University
use Apple because they could not be hacked.. Blah, Bla,Bla...
:
Well guess what her Apple got hacked and she lost a lot of
work she had done on the Family Tree...As smart as she is..
she was stupid and did not back it up..Some of the info she
may get back because she sent info to Europe to relatives
to do some research for her.. But most of it is gone..
Copied:::

PREVIOUSLY: If you thought your Mac was safe from harmful computer viruses, think again.

Ars Technica reported on April 4 that Trojan BackDoor.Flashback.39, or the "Mac Flashback trojan," has returned with a vengeance in recent weeks, now affecting hundreds of thousands of Apple laptops.

Ars first reported about the issue on April 2, explaining that anti-virus and computer security firm F-Secure had spotted the trojan in action.

Later, on April 4, the site pointed out that it was Russian IT-security solutions vendor Dr. Web that revealed how widespread the problem has become in a post published on the Dr. Web blog earlier on the same day.

"Systems get infected with BackDoor.Flashback.39 after a user is redirected to a bogus site from a compromised resource or via a traffic distribution system," explained Dr. Web. "JavaScript code is used to load a Java-applet containing an exploit."

In response to the problem, Apple released an update on April 3 to patch up the security holes that exist in Java. While all Mac-owners should make sure to update their devices, you can always check to see if your Mac has been infected using your device's Terminal. Directions for this process, as well as for how you can manually disinfect your Mac, have been provided by F-Secure. (You can access the patches via Apple Support, here or here.)

As of April 4, Dr. Web found that more than half of the 555,000 infected computers were in the United States, nearly 20 percent were in Canada and nearly 13 percent were in the United Kingdom.

Malware analyst Sorokin Ivan has since shared that the trojan has now reached 600,000 devices, tweeting the following, later on in the day on April 4:

Honored Contributor
On 9/2/2014 sparklestar said:

Another way of your every move being tracked.

Who is tracking your every move? You must be extraordinarily interesting.