Respected Contributor

Junk email all of a sudden.....

I'm getting lots from all kinds of topix. Is there a way to stop it? The only new site I have signed up for that I can think of is Groupon. Is this the culprit?

Honored Contributor

Re: Junk email all of a sudden.....

On 9/2/2014 mima said:

I'm getting lots from all kinds of topix. Is there a way to stop it? The only new site I have signed up for that I can think of is Groupon. Is this the culprit?

When you add a free program and then notice things get different? That is usually the culprit.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

On 9/2/2014 hckynut said:
On 9/2/2014 mima said:

When you add a free program and then notice things get different? That is usually the culprit.

It's a shopping type site.

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 mima said:
On 9/2/2014 mima said:

Hi mima,

I know! My mother-in-law and wife get many half price meals using this website, I think! I do know they say "we have to use this coupon by "x" date" before it expires. Have heard my mother-in-law mention that name.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

A sign of our times. I don't see it getting any better. Try giving to a charity or political cause. You get at least a dozen others asking you for money.

Respected Contributor

On 9/2/2014 mima said:
On 9/2/2014 mima said:

Hi mima,

I know! My mother-in-law and wife get many half price meals using this website, I think! I do know they say "we have to use this coupon by "x" date" before it expires. Have heard my mother-in-law mention that name.

Oh, ok. I didn't know if you knew what it was. Have they had lots of junk emails? It may have been something else, but that one comes to mind as being the most receent.

Honored Contributor

Hi, mima! It would help to know if the junk emails are from reputable companies. Or did you suddenly begin receiving suspicious, potentially dangerous, spam? There are ways to stop it, depending upon the emails you're receiving and which email provider you use (you can block or filter out unwanted messages, but it's done in different ways depending upon the provider).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 mima said:

Oh, ok. I didn't know if you knew what it was. Have they had lots of junk emails? It may have been something else, but that one comes to mind as being the most receent.

Really don't know since I don't ask either of them about their e-mails. If either one asks me for help or mentions something I do what I can for them. That is about all I know about these things concerning their e-mail.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I have a junk email account. Junk email is like old junk mail.

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of causes for sudden increases in junk mail, so it's hard to blame any one site for the issue.

Often an increase in real junk mail (male enhancement pills, etc) means that someone has changed the filter settings on the email program I'm using or that spammers have tried something new that the software hasn't caught up to yet. Those usually adjust back to normal in a few days.

If you want to know more about who's selling your email address to junk sites, you might want to sign up for a service like spamgourmet.com. You can generate a disposable (and renewable) email address for any new site you sign up for, for example, BusinessOne.10.chynna@spamgourmet.com. That means I used the email address at a place I've chosen to call BusinessOne and said they could send me 10 emails before spamgourmet stopped forwarding the email to me. Now I know that if I see a spam email come into my box with that same address, it means BusinessOne sold my email address to the spammer.

You can also set up a second email account that you use for anything new or companies you don't trust. Once you've determined they're trustworthy, you can change your account settings to use your primary email.