Respected Contributor

What are the advantages of hooking your DishTV DVR up to wifi?

I got all excited thinking I could stream Netflix on the TVs. I'm sure the DishTV installer told me I could. I am googling and finding nothing about it.

I know you can get pay per view movies via wifi. What else can you do?

My daughter had Directv and she said they can watch Youtube videos. However, I can't find where you can do that on DishTV.

What can you do with wifi connected to your Dishtv DVR?

Also, I read I would need a sling adapter for the certain model DVR we got. Does anyone use one? Are you happy with it? It is so you can view Dishtv anywhere. Does it work on a Kindle Fire HD? HDX?

Any information would be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

Re: What are the advantages of hooking your DishTV DVR up to wifi?

You need a streaming device or your computer connected to the TV. I have a Sony smart Blu-Ray player and Apple TV. Both are connected via wireless to my cable internet service.

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 glb613 said:

You need a streaming device or your computer connected to the TV. I have a Sony smart Blu-Ray player and Apple TV. Both are connected via wireless to my cable internet service.

We can stream Netflix by using a roku. Half the time it is messed up. I thought we would be able to get rid of the roku and just use the Dish DVR and the wifi. We don't have a smart tv.

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 mima said:
On 9/1/2014 glb613 said:

We can stream Netflix by using a roku. Half the time it is messed up. I thought we would be able to get rid of the roku and just use the Dish DVR and the wifi. We don't have a smart tv.

You need a streaming device like a smart TV, smart DVD/Blu-ray player, Roku, Apple TV or connect your computer. Check with some of the newer tablets because they may be able to connect to your TV and stream Netflix.

Honored Contributor

I know that Dish Network has 2 different versions of their Hopper/Joey All Home Setup. One is for the "sling" which allows you to watch things while "on the move". I do not have this one or any real need for it. I am assuming with this "sling" it connects to some type of router that allows wi-fi on capable mobile devices. Would also need a Dish App on the device to be able to use it.

We have 2 smart Blue-ray DVD players and our TV is also a smart TV. These allow us to get to certain apps to view movies/uTube etc. Seems to me it would be more financially prudent to get a DVD player that is internet and wi-fi capable, assuming you have broadband and a router or capable modem. I have seen many DVD players with these capabilities for well under $100.

Knowing Dish Network, are you sure they said it is a DVR? Are you using an actual DVR or do you have the Hopper/Joey Dish Network setup? What we use is the Hopper with 2 Joeys, not a DVR. We can step up to the Hopper that uses the "sling", but as I stated above, we have no need for it.

Not 100% sure I answered your question and if not, if you can break it down to be a bit more specific to your equipment with Dish Network, it might give me a better view of what you are using.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 hckynut said:

I know that Dish Network has 2 different versions of their Hopper/Joey All Home Setup. One is for the "sling" which allows you to watch things while "on the move". I do not have this one or any real need for it. I am assuming with this "sling" it connects to some type of router that allows wi-fi on capable mobile devices. Would also need a Dish App on the device to be able to use it.

We have 2 smart Blue-ray DVD players and our TV is also a smart TV. These allow us to get to certain apps to view movies/uTube etc. Seems to me it would be more financially prudent to get a DVD player that is internet and wi-fi capable, assuming you have broadband and a router or capable modem. I have seen many DVD players with these capabilities for well under $100.

Knowing Dish Network, are you sure they said it is a DVR? Are you using an actual DVR or do you have the Hopper/Joey Dish Network setup? What we use is the Hopper with 2 Joeys, not a DVR. We can step up to the Hopper that uses the "sling", but as I stated above, we have no need for it.

Not 100% sure I answered your question and if not, if you can break it down to be a bit more specific to your equipment with Dish Network, it might give me a better view of what you are using.

It is a dual DVR that can connect to the internet by wifi. If I need the slingplayer, I need to buy an adapter for my DVR and plug it in. We don't have the hopper.

Super Contributor

On 9/1/2014 mima said:
On 9/1/2014 glb613 said:

If the Roku is messing up Netflix, are you sure your internet speed is fast enough? Or maybe you need to replace the Roku, I have 3 of them but I hear they don't usually last longer than a couple years before needing replacement.

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:
On 9/1/2014 mima said:
On 9/1/2014 glb613 said:

If the Roku is messing up Netflix, are you sure your internet speed is fast enough? Or maybe you need to replace the Roku, I have 3 of them but I hear they don't usually last longer than a couple years before needing replacement.

Maybe that is it. No our internet speed is ok because videos play fine on my computer and Kindle.

Esteemed Contributor

Does the Dish network have a customer forum where people ""talk"" about the different products etc?

https://support.dish.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/catv~days=365~filter=DISH

Respected Contributor

On 9/1/2014 nutmeg3 said:

Does the Dish network have a customer forum where people ""talk"" about the different products etc?

https://support.dish.com/

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/index.php

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/catv~days=365~filter=DISH

Thanks Nutmeg3! I'll check those out.