Contributor

dose anyone rember the windows 8 upgrade offer with a windows 7 pc

if bought by a certain date well I did that I have had windows 8 on my dell pc sense it came out now it needs reformatted and the disk they sent me is only a backup disk not an accrual windows disk or product key I cant even get it to reformat back to 7 am I screwed help thanks

Super Contributor

Re: dose anyone rember the windows 8 upgrade offer with a windows 7 pc

You will need all of the serial # 's on your computer. There should also be a sticker on your computer with your Windows 7 serial number. This is a blue hologram sticker with your serial #. that will get your windows 7 re-installed.

call the computer maker's customer service # about the windows 8 upgrade. . You will be able to get up and running again, but plan to be on the phone a while to get this fixed.

Contributor

thank u will they do this if the pc is no longer warrantied

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/31/2014 rosietwinkie said:

thank u will they do this if the pc is no longer warrantied

You would have to pay for Dell tech to work on your computer. Here is a better way a system restore. http://techchannel.radioshack.com/easily-restore-dell-pc-factory-settings-1579.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JowXnzXT3Js

Respected Contributor

I don't know what happens to my posts. Did you make a recovery DVD set when the computer was new? If not, contact Dell and order a set of recovery DVDs. This will put it back to the factory condition. You won't have the Windows 8 upgrade doing this.
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/31/2014 glb613 said: I don't know what happens to my posts. Did you make a recovery DVD set when the computer was new? If not, contact Dell and order a set of recovery DVDs. This will put it back to the factory condition. You won't have the Windows 8 upgrade doing this.

You can not get recovery media for a Dell unless it is in warranty.

Respected Contributor

On 8/31/2014 nutmeg3 said:
On 8/31/2014 glb613 said: I don't know what happens to my posts. Did you make a recovery DVD set when the computer was new? If not, contact Dell and order a set of recovery DVDs. This will put it back to the factory condition. You won't have the Windows 8 upgrade doing this.

You can not get recovery media for a Dell unless it is in warranty.

Since when? I'm not talking about free. I'm talking about paying for recovery disks. I currently have a small Dell without an optical drive so disks wouldn't work for me. It does have a recovery partition like the last 2 HP computers I owned. Unless the hard drive has failed, she should be able too restore it back to factory specs using the recovery partition. The Windows 8 update is another matter. That might be something she can download but it won't activate without the product or activation key number. Another good reason to keep product key numbers in a safe place.
Super Contributor

This is a perfect example of why you make a recovery disc when you first set up your computer.

EVERY computer will eventually fail. If you do not prepare, you will lose all of your information. This is not the fault of the manufacturer.

Did you try the recovery settings on your PC?

Esteemed Contributor

I was able to get a free Window 8.1 recovery software for a dell desktop computer a month ago. The computer is in warranty. She can contact dell to buy media. I posted information above about restoring a Dell to an out of the box condition.
Respected Contributor

Where have you looked for the recovey partition? Where have you looked for the product key number? Every time I've owned a Windows operating system disk, the activation number/product key number was located on the box or sleeve. The activation/product key for the computer using Windows 7 is on the bottom of the computer if a notebook or side of the tower on a desktop.