Honored Contributor

yesterday, out of the blue, even though I was not even using my phone, and I was at home all day where there is wifi, I lost 500 min of data time on my tracfone. I went to facebook and contacted tracfone. They agreed to replace those min - though that has not been done yet - and told me to disable my mobile data - so I did. However, I don't really understand what mobile data is exactly. Can someone please explain this to me. I did not turn it off but I reduced it way down. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Mobile data is used when you use the internet for emails, social media, and the internet. Mobile data is also used just by having your phone on and you not even using it. Your phone stays connected to the internet to receive emails and to run background apps.

Maybe you had an app running and that used the data.

Honored Contributor

The rep said it looked like someone was using my GPS to attempt to hack into the phone and steal data. That was scary. Anyway he thinks that was the problem as it made the GPS app run and then it wasn't turned off. So i now have the GPS app turned completely off. There are so many ways that hackers can steal from you these days, and really very little you can do about it. i did not even know it was possible to get into the phone's data thru the GPS.What is even scarier was - i did not go anywhere yesterday so it was done while I and my phone were right here at home.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know that either.

Is this a new way to scam people - steal their data?

Esteemed Contributor

http://a.tracfone.com/help There maybe an app in the Google play store to manage data usage.

You should find the service manual for your cell phone online. You need to turn off the data plan in your smartphone when not being used.

Honored Contributor
On 8/31/2014 nutmeg3 said:

http://a.tracfone.com/help There maybe an app in the Google play store to manage data usage.

You should find the service manual for your cell phone online. You need to turn off the data plan in your smartphone when not being used.

That is what mobile data is I think .

Contributor

Your phone uses data for all functions except phone and text. When you went to Facebook to report the problem, you phone used data. If you have not switched the phone to WiFi, your phone uses your cellular data minutes. GPS, email, all of your apps use your data allotment, often in the background so that when you open it info is current. Many apps like to track your location. I keep GPS turned off unless I am using the mapping apps because of this but also because GPS tends to drain the battery. If you are at home with a WiFi network available, you might be wise to switch your phone to WiFi and only use mobile (cellular) data when you don't have access to your home's WiFi network.

Super Contributor

I think the answer that CS gave you, someone was using your GPS to hack your phone, is BS. I can't even think of a way for that to be possible.

Data rates will kick on when you are doing things with your phone and NOT connected to wifi.

Not sure if you keep your phone connected to your home wifi network when at home? If not, then you should. Remember, connected to wifi is free.

If you do, then maybe your phone disconnected from your home wifi network. If you had apps open, even if the phone isn't being used, the apps probably did auto refresh behind the scenes. That auto refresh action used data. (if you want more information about how your phone can disconnect from the signal at home let me know. For sake of keeping this reply to a minimum I won't type it out now).

Check you phone settings to see if you can turn auto refresh off. Or you might be able to select a refresh rate, and switching this from every minute, or 2 minutes, to every hour (or 2) will help. This will help you to control data use. Plus, you should close apps when not using them. Not only will it help save data, but also will help conserve battery.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/31/2014 happy housewife said:
On 8/31/2014 nutmeg3 said:

That is what mobile data is I think .

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfone.tracfone.myaccount&hl=en

You may want to read the reviews before downloading this app.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a tracfone, but the Amazon app that recently updated was really eating my data minutes. My data month ends on 8/28 and on 8/27 I was at the halfway mark. I have never in all the years I've had a smartphone come anywhere near the halfway mark in data (1G).

I disabled the Amazon app (I dont' even use it!), it won't let me delete it because it's hard coded into the phone.

I'm glad tracfone helped you.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN