Super Contributor

Which is the way to go? Wi fi or Wi fi + cellular

If wi fi + cellular, which carrier is good? AT&T, T-mobile, Sprint or Verizon

Would appreciate any or all help.

Respected Contributor

I've owned both WIFI only and WIFI + cellular. I'd recommend getting one with both. The carrier depends on who has the better coverage in your area or who you already have as your cell phone provider.

Honored Contributor
Ditto what glb said.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

Thanks, I'll look at the carrier maps. I was leaning towards both wi fi and cell, also.

Honored Contributor

It's so much more useful with the cellular coverage. Of course, if you have a device that can create a mobile hotspot like an iphone you can use that and connect over wifi instead.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

MaggieToo,

Do you have a smartphone that will enable you to create a hotspot? If so, you can connect your iPad, or any wifi only device, to the internet using your phone's hotspot.

I have previously purchased iPads that were cellular enabled, but since my carrier allows my iPhone to create a hotspot, I will no longer pay extra to have cellular service on any future iPads.

Here's a link that explains tethering devices to a smartphone hotspot:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/mobile-phone/3441165/how-use-your-smartphone-as-wi-fi-hotspot/

Honored Contributor

I have Wi-Fi + Cellular with AT&T & use my Wi-Fi at home & only buy the prepaid data connect pass plan when I'm not going to be around Wi-Fi. If you have Wi-Fi at home this is the way to go so you don't have a monthly bill. I have also connected using my SIL iPhone hotspot when I'm at the in-laws house. I only buy the prepaid pass when we travel or like earlier this summer we were notified the power was going to be off half a day so I paid $5 to AT&T for 1 day service with 250MB.

Super Contributor

I have wifi+ cellular. It is with Verizon, they have the best coverage in my area, and I also have my phone with them.

I've actually never activated the cellular on the iPad. I mainly use it at home, and connect using my home network. On the few occasions I've been away from home with it, everywhere I went had free wifi connection - again, no need to activate the cellular.

Since I have an iPhone, with a data plan, in the event I am out and need access to something that would typically require me to activate the cellular on my iPad, I figure I could just use my phone for that occasion - again, no need to activate the cellular.

I bought the iPad with the cellular just in case I ever needed it. Its not something you can add later. For example, if ever the power went out for extended time, or something like that. But that hasn't happened yet, and now 2 years later I am finding that I never activate the cellular on the iPad because I just don't need it.

For thoe reasons, the next iPad I get will just be wifi. It is cheaper. Also, the iPad with wifi+cellular is a bit heavier, because of the cellular thingy that is built into it.

Honored Contributor

Here is a link I found online that was wrote in June 2014 that has a chart comparison for data plans. http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/01/prepaid-tablet-data-plans-compared.html

Super Contributor

I only have a dumb tracphone, so I can't tether and my carrier is Century Link. I'll make a copy of the comparison chart, Nightowlz, and figure something out.

Thanks, everyone...