Trusted Contributor

I am switching from Dish to Uverse

I had Time Warner for about 15 yrs, had technical probs (never could figure out) switched to Dish, their rates increased the last 4 yrs to 120. 200 channels 3 dvr's 2 sports pkgs. Uverse quoted me 90$ for similar tv with fiber optic internet included (faster than current ATT dsl speed). I am currently paying 40 for internet. What do you pay, for what?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am switching from Dish to Uverse

We have Uverse TV only and pay about $150 a month. We have the 450 HD package.

We've had it about 6 years. We have only had to have 2 service calls. The cable boxes were old & I don't remember the other reason. Most of the time it's an easy self-serve fix, unplug box or wires to reboot. When we had the phone through Uverse it was nice to see the caller id come up on the tv.

I couldn't use the internet because I was working at home and it keep dropping out. I have separate ComCast internet & phone $103 a month. Since I don't work at home any more I could probably use Uverse internet, since dropping out wouldn't really matter. It's such a hassle to change I don't want to do it.

For both Uverse & ComCast I've called to tried to get rates lowered. They say no. I say I'll shop around. They say Okay, bye.

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to go to DSL REPORTS site for information about cable televisioninternet. Each company has a forum.

Honored Contributor

So much depends upon where you live.

I have Xfinity “Preferred Double Play” and 2 tv boxes. In my locale, this package includes “over 225 digital channels, including NFL Network, MLB Network, Encore, plus HBO” and their Blast internet service "up to 105 Mbps." No contract requiring me to keep the service for a certain time -- I can cancel if I want, with no penalty.

The cost is about $97 a month. Customer support is excellent, technical support uneven. Signal is strong and reliable. I’ve only needed one service visit, and that was for a complex wiring problem (exterior and interior).

Location, location, location…Wink In our area, all the major players are available and our power company has an excellent product, too. So there’s plenty of competition for customers, and they’re all aware of it.

Unfortunately, we all usually have to play the ridiculous “promotional period” game. The best price usually comes in a package, and the package usually lasts for a limited time (usually a year). Then, it takes a phone call to renegotiate. In my case, Xfinity has come up with the same, or better, package/price each time. But, again, that’s probably due to the stiff competition here.

(Regarding AT&T, I've used their landline and wireless service for years. The customer service and technical support are horrible, in my opinion, and I spent so much time calling and getting billing problems corrected that I finally dropped the landline once I no longer needed it. I'll probably switch wireless providers in the near future, too.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I dropped TWC about a year ago for the same reason springers. I was paying big $$ and yet just about every night I lost most of my HD channels and TWC never got it right.

I switched to U-Verse U-300 plus internet. I've had absolutely no problems with U-Verse. Internet is reliable and fast. Only thing I miss since switching is the Hallmark and Hallmark movie channels. Oh well....

I pay $107/mo (that includes local taxes).

Esteemed Contributor

I love U-verse! It's far, far better than Comcast.
Honored Contributor

I left Time Warner for U-Verse six months ago and couldn't be happier. I have the TV, internet & phone package with highest speed internet, HD, DVR and most of the channels including HBO and Showtime. I won't be keeping all that after my 2 years is up, but nice to have it now. Before, I paid $130 for cable, $60 for internet and $35 for phone. I now pay $147 for everything including all the taxes. I'm happy and have better reception and internet speed. But it really does depend on where you live, and most importantly, the age/condition of both your household wiring and the ATT wiring in your neighborhood.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

We have Dish Network and happy with their prices/services and programming, except that they do not have MSG, yet! I've had Primestar/Cox Cable/Hughes Network/DirecTV and now Dish for my TV providers. Cox I had for my internet until we moved into this home. It was back in 1997 when they were no limits on the speed or bandwidth used for either uploading or downloading, both were the same. Latency also ran around a 0.11

Had dial-up for several years, but for a couple of those years I used Hughes Network for their Satellite Internet. Needed a dial-up to connect to a number that then sent it on to the satellite. Back then satellite was only "1-way" which meant much faster download speed than dial-up, but the up-load speed was actually the dial-up, so it was very, very slow.

Had US West for internet until it became Centurylink. Was stuck with a top download speed of 1.5mbps for many years, which is not fast enough for streaming any video and things of that nature. Been a couple months now since they were able to upgrade my internet speeds to 7.0mbps, and I feel like I am in heaven with those speeds. The price remains the same as my 1.5mbps for 24 months and then it goes up $10 a month for the faster speed.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have u verse landline and cable for $95 and dish for $56 a month, no dvr or premium channels. It went up $7 in 8 years. If my dish ever goes up alot, I'll look into u verse.
Regular Contributor

I did have Uverse internet for years and was very happy with it. Finally couldn't put up with the shenanigans from Comcast TV any more and switched to Uverse TV. I pay $92, includes taxes, for both TV (U200) and internet. I like Uverse TV much much better. The Uverse phone is very pricey and I was not happy with it so I use an Ooma Telo (VOIP) and pay only $4 and change for phone and have no complaints.