Contributor

what is the best one 4 use with windows 8.1 thank you

Esteemed Contributor

Re: free antivirus protection

http://community.qvc.com/forums/electronics-talk/topic/466473/anti-virus-protection.aspx

I would say AVG and Malwarebytes real time paid version.

Respected Contributor

Replying so I can find this post in a minute.

Respected Contributor

You already have Windows Defender built in. Read here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win7

Contributor

The best antivirus by far is Avast! I haven't had a virus in 7 years and it's free!!

Honored Contributor

I use MSE on all my older computers. I have the free version of AVAST on my newest (Win8.1) computer and I use Malwarebytes (I'm using the paid version) on all of them.

BTW, if you do a quick search, you'll see that this question has been asked a zillion times so there are plenty of threads asking and answering this question. HTH Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/30/2014 LISALIPLINER said:

The best antivirus by far is Avast! I haven't had a virus in 7 years and it's free!!

Will Avast run in Windows 8.1 without a problem? Chicken, thanks for answering this question for me.

I am using Avast in my Window 7 desktop computer, with Comodo Firewall. I like the two programs together. I am using McAfee livesafe on a new window 8.1 computer. I will have sometime to decide whether to use Avast or Norton 360. I use Hitman Pro as a Malware tool.

Honored Contributor

DH is using Windows Defender that came with his laptop with 8.1, also uses Malwarebytes paid version & CCleaner. Since we paid for Malwarebytes when it was $25 for life we get to keep that. They now charge $25 per year. They also have a free version if you want to run it yourself.

Regular Contributor

I use Avast free antivirus. Good program. Also use the free Malwarebytes and free Superantispyware which I run once a week.