Esteemed Contributor

Email attachment mystery ~ Help requested

I am hoping someone has enough expertise to help me with this mystery.

I got a response from a retailer who I have been writing about a product. He sent me an attachment of his merchandise. He actually sent two attachments. One attachment was expected. The other one was some of MY PICTURES IN A FILE. No idea how he got them and I recently had my smartphone repaired and GOOGLE HAS PICKED UP ON SOME SHOTS ALSO. For the record I am ANDROID on my Galaxy Note and my computer is a PC. I don't use google for mail. I am wondering if something got linked. This is a real mystery and I am concerned my computer is sending out things without my permission. I am not hacked and all is well on my computer (hopefully).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Only thing I can think of is I AM HAUNTED. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor

Re: Email attachment mystery ~ Help requested

nm

Honored Contributor

Hi, bonnielu! For me to guess about this I'd need a bit more information.

What do you mean when you say "Google has picked up on some of the shots?" Did you search and find them on the Internet on public display?

With a Galaxy Note, have you downloaded and used Google Play apps? If so, there's at least one connection to Google. Where did the photos in question originally reside -- on your phone, on your PC, in the cloud? And even though you said it's not Gmail, I'm wondering which email provider you use, and which one the retailer uses.

Sorry for all the questions. If someone else has experience this, they might have a ready answer but I don't have enough clues. (I use Apple products, but I do have a Gmail account.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

nm??

Esteemed Contributor

Here is exactly what happened. I wrote an email. I got a reply. The reply was a message about products being sold. Included was one attachment showing the products. It was correct... all blouses. But there was another attachment. And I opened it and there were pictures included in one of my files on my computer (my desktop) of random pictures that I had stored to have easy access to.

I have an aol account and I use comcast. I recently had a fix for my smart phone but my phone and pc are not connected... so I thought. Phone not involved. I did not send email by phone only by pc.

I am a bit confused. And in a sense kind of scared.

Honored Contributor

On 8/26/2014 bonnielu said:

Here is exactly what happened. I wrote an email. I got a reply. The reply was a message about products being sold. Included was one attachment showing the products. It was correct... all blouses. But there was another attachment. And I opened it and there were pictures included in one of my files on my computer (my desktop) of random pictures that I had stored to have easy access to.

I have an aol account and I use comcast. I recently had a fix for my smart phone but my phone and pc are not connected... so I thought. Phone not involved. I did not send email by phone only by pc.

I am a bit confused. And in a sense kind of scared.

Hi, bonnielu! Thanks for the clarification. Based on this, I'd be highly suspicious of the first mail message sent to you from the company, the one with an attachment. Can you say which company this was? I'm concerned by opening the attachment you might have downloaded something malicious. And then, if you responded to the message, it might have been able to include other files on your computer and send them to the retailer. Please be careful, and run some scans to be sure your PC hasn't been harmed.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

Retailer was a mom and pop operation of sorts selling decorated tee shirts used for ballroom dancing among other things. They are legit and I have dealt with them in the past. This is really strange since I went over my SENT EMAILS and nothing was included even accidentally. Their jpeg file was simply shirts and skirts. Next to it was another file...filed with my pictures... one file. It looked to be a saved file... A BACKUP FILE of sorts from Google. I don't use google except on my phone (smartphone).

I am having no computer problems. I just think this is strange. I am going to keep an eye out. I scanned my computer with AVG and with Malwarebytes, Nothing suspicious showed up.

I am thinking this is crazy like the rest of my day.... one scam robo call after another. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Can't wait to see what fun tomorrow brings.

Honored Contributor

I keep revisiting this thread, the suspense is killing me. Someone please come up with a logical explanation.

Respected Contributor

On 8/27/2014 depglass said:

I keep revisiting this thread, the suspense is killing me. Someone please come up with a logical explanation.

Me too! LOL

Super Contributor

I have no answers, just more questions. Do you use gmail? Do you use the Chrome browser? Picasa? Why did you blame Google for this?