Respected Contributor

What is the easiest (least amount of stress) way to activate a Tracfone?

I am considering purchasing a Tracfone but have read horror stories of the activation process be it online or through the CS number provided. I've read of phone numbers being lost through either manner. I've read that calling the Miami number or asking the Tracfone FB reps to activate the phone is the most successful way. What is your advice? TIA!

Super Contributor

Re: What is the easiest (least amount of stress) way to activate a Tracfone?

I just bought the LG Olympus II tracfone and did the activation on my computer. It took only a few minutes to do however, it did take about 3 hours for the phone to actually activate. I then added my minutes, via the computer, and that took no time either. READ the instructions, a couple of times I screwed up because I didn't read the code right. In one part you have to call a certain number to finish the activation and it was*9595958. I kept just putting in the numbers without the asterisk. There were helpful hints about these potential problems in the package. I like this phone because it is a real smartphone and not just a wantabe. Good Luck. Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Respected Contributor

Thank you, gailchap. That is the phone I'm considering purchasing, so I appreciate your review of it, as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Do it online. It's really easy, just follow the instructions to the letter.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Wish I knew! I sent one back because I couldn't figure out how to do it. I actually called the phone # given on the info sheet and the person I spoke to was no help. She kept asking for different #'s, etc. I finally told her that I couldn't find what she wanted and I was sending the phone back to QVC.

Honored Contributor

generally I buy my Tracfones at Radio Shack and they activate it in the store for you. Totally free. When you walk out the door you are ready to use it. This summer I purchased an LG olympus from QVC and trying to activate it and get my time and min transferred over took me the better part of an entire day. Never again.

BTW i love my phone now that I have been using it all summer. But I recommend going to radio shack to get it.

Respected Contributor

happy housewife, does Radio Shack have bundles like QVC or HSN? Or do you have to purchase a phone and the plans separately?

Respected Contributor

My first tracfone I did it online. I thought it pretty simple and fast and my phone was activated quickly. The second time I called the Miami number (but make sure it is the U.S. number and not a generic 800 number elsewhere). Also pretty fast and easy. So I've not had a problem either way. Not sure why some people have had so much difficulty!

Super Contributor

Go to Google and type in Trac Fone Facebook. Their facebook page appears and click on Support. When that page comes up, click on 'live chat' for support. They will help activate it for you.

Super Contributor

I've activated 4 different tracfones. I've done them all online and had no problems at all. I think its a pretty painless process.

I did get new #s so it may be more difficult if you want to port your number.