New Contributor

My job involves using the computer all day and as such I am used to using a pc and keyboard, which is what I currently use at home as well. Our family is thinking of switching from a PC to a laptop and I am just wondering if other administrative assistants have/had a hard time adjusting to the keys on the laptop versus the keys on a regular keyboard as far as placement of keys, speed of use, etc. Thanks for any input!

Honored Contributor

I thought I would hate the change when I changed jobs, but I love my laptops.

If you're main worry is the keyboard (mine was, too), you can use an external keyboard, just like you do with your desktop. You can even mount your laptop on a docking station and close it up, using an external monitor and an external keyboard so that it's basically a desktop.

I've found the switch to have mostly positive benefits. I love being able to take mine out of my home or office. When I was going to work and taking classes, I loved being able to do my homework in a coffee shop instead of at home where it was too easy to lose focus because suddenly I decided laundry would be more fun or important.

The only drawbacks I've found are not things you're likely worried about. With my desktop, I can do my own upgrades and repairs. I'm afraid to do that with my laptop because I just don't as much about the insides of my laptops and I'm afraid I'll break something. I also still rely on a desktop for gaming because a laptop for gaming is just way too expensive.

Honored Contributor

I'm not an administrative assistant but I can't stand laptops. I have one that I bought for travel but I won't use it at home. In fact I don't even use it for travel anymore since ipad came out. I use a 27 inch imac at home.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I'm not an administrative assistant either. We have laptops & desktop. I prefer to use the desktop & DH always uses the laptop. He uses a laptop at work too. I can type a lot faster on a desktop. The keys on a laptop are different from the desktop keyboard. I guess like anything after you get used to it you won't have any problems. You will probably want a cooling pad with the back lifted up so it's easier to use the laptop keys. I find it difficult to use a laptop while it's laying flat. We have one made by Targus like the pic. My desktop keyboard has feet on the back that props it up.

Honored Contributor

Here's a laptop on a docking station with an external monitor and external keyboard. The monitor is on a stand and the docking station is under it, but if you wanted a more traditional look, you can put the docking station and laptop to the side and have a lower monitor.

Dock

Here's another example with a wireless keyboard and monitor:

You don't need to use your laptop keyboard or monitor at all if you don't want to. You can probably use the monitor you have right now. You'll likely need a new keyboard, but it depends on the setup you have and what you get. I use my laptop and an eternal monitor because I like using two monitors for comparison work.

If you can't stand a laptop just because it's portable, you're not using all your options and blaming the laptop. They have the same functionality as a regular desktop, you just need to set them up the way you want them.

Honored Contributor

To me it's a complete waste to have a docking station and an external keyboard when I can have a desktop.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I'm an AA and I know exactly what you mean. Most laptops have normal size keyboards these days but I missed the numeral keypad since I do 10 key by touch. When I bought a new laptop I made sure it had this feature only because sometimes I work from home and I can't do numbers on the top anymore. It aggravates me. I think my laptop is 15" and it's a fine size for typing. No issues at all there. Again it was just the separate numeral keypad that I missed and went back to when I bought my latest laptop a few years ago. If you have a Best Buy or some other electronics store near you, just pop in and try the different kinds on display to see what works and is most comfortable for you.

Super Contributor

You can buy another keyboard and mouse that plugs into the laptop. That's what I did.

Laptop keyboard is the pits.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/25/2014 jaxs mom said:

To me it's a complete waste to have a docking station and an external keyboard when I can have a desktop.

Docking stations are normally used in business setting with a laptop. It would be a waste of money for me to use one. I just use a cooling fan with my large laptop. I personally like using a desktop computer. I like being wired into the web with one computer in the house. I can get a solid connection.

Many folks use tablets as their portable device. Some younger folks use smartphones.

Respected Contributor

I have a 17"" laptop with the 10-key on it so my keys are fine. I can't stand typing on the smaller laptops keyboards. I would get a separate keyboard to use. And a mouse! Always get a mouse.