Respected Contributor

Has this happened to you on Facebook?

This morning I had a notification that Joe Jones (not real name) accepted my friend request. He was two or three years older than me in high school. I barely remember him, but his younger brother was in my class. I haven't ever seen him or his name on facebook. So I'm sure I didn't request him unknowingly. Sometimes I think you can hit the "friend" button by mistake, but I don't remember seeing him at all on facebook. I don't mind being friends with him, but I'm sure he's wondering why I asked him to be my Facebook friend. It's kind of embarrassing. I'm married. I hope he doesn't think I've had a secret crush on him all these years! LOL

Oh, I don't want to try to explain that I didn't ask him to be my friend. That sounds really rude. No way to say that nicely.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has this happened to you on Facebook?

Really? This is a concern? Mountain out of a mole hill. Jr. high school problem!

Respected Contributor

Never happened to me. Odd.....just unfriend him. If u want, send a private message saying you're not sure how he got such a request and you prefer family only on FB.
Respected Contributor

Yes, this has happened to me. I was surprised to see this person accept my friend request that I never sent. I think it is very easy to do especially since they seem to have people you may know right there on your page. It is annoying. I just unfriended the person.
Contributor

What a rude response. She simply asked a valid question!

On 8/24/2014 Skylands said:

Really? This is a concern? Mountain out of a mole hill. Jr. high school problem!

Super Contributor

As a matter of fact, I went on fb this morning to send someone a message. I rarely go on so I just played around to see what's new. I noticed that I now have some "friends" that I only recognized the name by association. I know that I never sent them a friend request, nor did I accept one from them.

Honored Contributor

just unfriend the person, and move on

don't bother emailing or contacting

easy to hit the "friend request" by mistake

Honored Contributor

To see if you did send a friend request, you can view all the friend requests you've sent. Follow the steps in this Help Center FAQ.

Basically, you look in the upper right corner of the page, click on the icon that looks like a silhouette of two people, Click on "Find Friends," then click "View Sent Requests."

Here's the link to the help page:
https://www.facebook.com/help/495617903818114/?ref=u2u

A friend request can be sent manually (by clicking "Add Friend") or through features like the contact importer. Those using Facebook mobile apps sometimes inadvertently send friend requests out via the contacts on their phone/tablet (or people associated with their contacts) without realizing it. Done this way, numerous friend requests might be sent out and if someone registers for Facebook via these invitations they're automatically added to your friend list (they get the invitation through email).

If you use any Facebook apps, keep a close eye on all the settings. For that matter, in the full website version of Facebook, keep a close eye on all the settings. They change them frequently without notice, and they change features and options in the same way.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Yes, this happened to me also. I have since deleted my facebook account because I was getting all kinds of strange messages on it. You have to be so careful on social media...it's not worth it and your privacy is compromised.

Honored Contributor

How to check whether you've actually sent friend requests from desktop and mobile devices:

"More info

Get help for mobile apps and browsers

You can use Facebook on a computer or from a variety of mobile phones and tablets. Get information specific to your experience by choosing a Help Center below."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova