Esteemed Contributor

Question for those who have experience with "Find my iPad"

My iPad mini has been missing for 10 days now. It's password protected, and I've activated the lost mode at iCloud. It's supposed to display my phone number and send me an email when it's located. Every time I check the iCloud website, it says that it's offline.

There are only 2 places that I might have left it: at work or it might have fallen out of my bag when I dropped off my car for servicing. (My bag was in the floor behind the driver's seat and I quickly grabbed it when I got out of the car.) Everyone at work says they haven't seen it, and the service center swears that it wasn't left in the vehicle and they don't have it. It's not in my house, and I didn't go anywhere but work and the car service center. At work I left it unattended at my desk no more than 5 minutes at a time to get up and go to restroom. Co-workers often leave their iPads on their desks when they take a break.

Now I guess I'm playing the waiting game for it to appear online. Is there anything else I can do at this point? I think I'll file a lost/stolen report with the police on Monday.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those who have experience with ""Find my iPad""

it is probably stolen,and turned off by the finder.

if it is password protected not sure what good it will do whoever found it.

sorry that happend

Super Contributor

I'm so sorry you've misplaced your iPad --- don't want to think it may be lost.

A couple of things that you probably already know:

- the iPad must be connected to wifi or cellular service in order for Find My iPad to locate it.

- Did you have location services turned on? I assume you did, but wanted to make sure that others reading this thread know that it must be activated for the Find My iPad app to work properly.

Hope it phones home soon!

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 jackthebear said:

it is probably stolen,and turned off by the finder.

if it is password protected not sure what good it will do whoever found it.

sorry that happend

You seem to not know how it works. When you activate find my iPad or iPhone it shows the contact information of the owner set up to show on the screen whenever it's turned on. Since it's password protected the only way the finder can turn it off would be hack the owes account.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Location services are turned on, so I keep hoping that it will eventually turn up. (fingers crossed!)

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't activated the ""erase my iPad"" yet. Should I do this also? There are just a few photos on it and some apps that I've purchased. Nothing really personal except for the possibility of getting into my iTunes.

Honored Contributor

Does your iPad have 3G/4G? I'm thinking that since the wifi only models can only use wifi for location services that if it's not turned on and connected to a network it can't locate where it is. I'm not sure though, I have the 3G model and I've always been able to see where my iPad is when use location services.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/23/2014 jaxs mom said:

Does your iPad have 3G/4G? I'm thinking that since the wifi only models can only use wifi for location services that if it's not turned on and connected to a network it can't locate where it is. I'm not sure though, I have the 3G model and I've always been able to see where my iPad is when use location services.

It's an iPad mini that uses wifi--not 3G or 4G. If I get another one, I think I'll go for the 3G or 4G model.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the Wifi only models don't have built in GSP like the cellular ones do. That is probably why you haven't been able to find it.

Honored Contributor

iPads as well as cell phones are not lost but stolen. You should always report the theft immediately to the police & also your homeowners insurance. That being said......

CLICKY CLICK----> How to use Find My iPad when you’ve lost your iPad or iPad mini

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif