Super Contributor

Mobile wireless hotspot recommendations please? or at least where to start?

I bought a late 90's class A motorhome this spring for a cross country trip next year. I'll be spending this winter researching and upgrading it.

The MH has an old 20" TV in the front (which I'd like to leave alone because new TVs aren't going to fit in the hole. At this point it's hooked to a DVR player with red/yellow/white connectors which will work with the systems) and I've got a new 32" flat screen to mount on the bedroom wall. (I bought this TV for my mother in April and she passed in June so it's basically brand new.)

We have all 3 gaming systems (PS3, Xbox 360 and the latest Wii) and I'm wondering if those wireless hotspots on the market carry enough bandwith to stream Netflix, etc. through the gaming systems? We'd only be using one at a time for viewing and NOT for gaming or downloading games.

I've tried to google wireless hotspots to compare myself but I never can get any of the links to open which is strange......like they want you to walk in to their brick & mortars or something. I don't know where to start. I also want good coverage from WI to CA.

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Mobile wireless hotspot recommendations please? or at least where to start?

Don't count on it. You need to be really close to the source to get a strong signal. Even then, if a lot of other people are also online, you'll be sharing the bandwidth and it causes a slowdown.

I went on a river cruise, tried to use the free Wifi and could only get a decent signal at 5 am. I've traveled to England and Ireland over the past 2 years and the free Wifi was only fast first thing in the morning. I was lucky to upload a picture or 2 a day.

I know my experience isn't in a RV park but the situation is very similar. They are similar, lots of people using free Wifi and sharing bandwidth. Is there a way you can download movies before you leave?

Esteemed Contributor

You should contact an RV dealer, and ask about Internet service on the road.
Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 glb613 said:

Don't count on it. You need to be really close to the source to get a strong signal. Even then, if a lot of other people are also online, you'll be sharing the bandwidth and it causes a slowdown.

I went on a river cruise, tried to use the free Wifi and could only get a decent signal at 5 am. I've traveled to England and Ireland over the past 2 years and the free Wifi was only fast first thing in the morning. I was lucky to upload a picture or 2 a day.

I know my experience isn't in a RV park but the situation is very similar. They are similar, lots of people using free Wifi and sharing bandwidth. Is there a way you can download movies before you leave?

I guess I wasn't clear. I want to subscribe to my own mobile internet service! Smile

Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 nutmeg3 said: You should contact an RV dealer, and ask about Internet service on the road.

There are mobile hotspots available on the market. That is what I'm looking for not something installed in the RV because when we get where we are going we will be staying in a summer home and I want to use it there too.

Besides the gaming systems we each have our own device (laptop, Ipad, vita, etc.) and I'd like to have a service with enough bandwith to at least have a few devices operational at a time.

Regular Contributor

I have this one.

I have the 16gb wifi iPad2, iPad Mini and a iPod Touch. My husband has a 16gb iPad 3rd Generation. We bought a T-Mobile hotspot to connect our laptops and iPads, etc to the internet when we're out of the house and aren't by a public hotspot. The hotspot is great, you can connect 5 things to it at the same time. I just buy the prepaid month and don't have a plan. You can buy the Hotspot with or without a plan. The price of the unit is different depending on if you sign up for a contract. I even used it the other day when my cable tv & internet was down. I only buy time when I need it.

T-Mobile Hotspot

http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-devices/t-mobile-4g-mobile-hotspot.html

I guess they changed their website. It's been a long time. I don't know if they still have mine. I see there is a Samsung Hotspot device.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't recommend a specific one, but your cell phone or cable/satellite provider may have something available.

Super Contributor

AT&T and Verizon both have MIFI devices. Check them all for the best monthly price.

Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 VolvoGirl said:

I have this one.

I have the 16gb wifi iPad2, iPad Mini and a iPod Touch. My husband has a 16gb iPad 3rd Generation. We bought a T-Mobile hotspot to connect our laptops and iPads, etc to the internet when we're out of the house and aren't by a public hotspot. The hotspot is great, you can connect 5 things to it at the same time. I just buy the prepaid month and don't have a plan. You can buy the Hotspot with or without a plan. The price of the unit is different depending on if you sign up for a contract. I even used it the other day when my cable tv & internet was down. I only buy time when I need it.

T-Mobile Hotspot

http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-devices/t-mobile-4g-mobile-hotspot.html

I guess they changed their website. It's been a long time. I don't know if they still have mine. I see there is a Samsung Hotspot device.

It looks good to me! It's a start. Thank you!

See what I mean about it being hard to shop for something like this online? At least your link gives me something to start my list with. I'll need to check out coverage maps and talk with ppl up at our lake home in CA to see what company works best for them too.

Super Contributor

Before you buy anything make sure they work with gaming devices.