Respected Contributor

WiFi, what is it and how do you get connected to it?????

My neighbor asked me this ? today and I could not explain it. When my wireless system was set up in my home it was done for me by a friend.

I'm sure this is a simple basic question that everyone probably knows the answer to, but I don't.

Can you explain it easily to me so I can tell her.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WiFi, what is it and how do you get connected to it?????

Wireless Internet enables wireless connectivity to the Internet via radio waves rather than wires on a person's home computer, laptop, smartphone or similar mobile device. Wireless Internet can be accessed directly through providers like AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Boingo and Clearwire.

While most wireless Internet options lack the high speed of landline broadband Internet connections such as cable and DSL, newer wireless Internet technologies like EV-DO and WiMAX are narrowing the gap, with maximum speeds of up to 7 Mbps in some cases.

Wi-Fi hotspots and wireless LANs are also options for wireless Internet connectivity. In these cases, Internet connectivity is typically delivered to a network hub via a wired connection like satellite, cable, DSL or fiber optics and then made available to wireless devices via a wireless access point.

Super Contributor

its a way to get the internet on your tablet/laptop/phone without any WIRES dragging around behind you.

You can carry your tablet into another room without being connected by a long cord. Instead of a cord connecting you to internet--a wireless signal is being sent to your device from a MODEM (a small box) provided by you or your provider.

This is my own LAYMEN'S way of explaining it! heh

Edit to add--I find it is much faster than being ""wired""!

Honored Contributor

Hi, bigsister! You're so kind to want to help your neighbor.Smile

To add to what's already posted:

If you want to really simplify it, think of it as the way signals come from a tower to a tv antenna. Or the signals to a wireless radio, or cell phone. Through the air, invisible to the eye.

WiFi in your home starts with your internet service provider (ISP), such as Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc. The provider brings a signal in through a router, and the router transmits it through the air to the devices set up to receive it. Public WiFi "hotspots" are doing the same thing, but they're not as secure so we have to be careful how we use them.

You might want to do an internet search on "WiFi for dummies," and read some of the articles about the basics "in plain English," too.

hth!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Wireless internet is similar to how you get a radio or TV signal(back in the day when we had antennas). As posted, you need an internet service, a modem and wireless router to broadcast the signal in your home.

Honored Contributor

I am a person who despises the use of acronyms. In this day and age, life is often inscrutable.
Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 violann said: I am a person who despises the use of acronyms. In this day and age, life is often inscrutable.

Too bad QVC doesn't do this...oh, wait.

Respected Contributor

On 8/21/2014 sidsmom said:
On 8/21/2014 violann said: I am a person who despises the use of acronyms. In this day and age, life is often inscrutable.

Another vote with you here. And it's not just QVC. The people on this board often assume you know what XZA (or whatever) is and go on and on about it when many of us have no idea what they are talking about. I wish everyone here would spell out what they are talking about at least in the first line or so - they would get more answers that way.

Super Contributor

On 8/21/2014 Perkup said:

Another vote with you here. And it's not just QVC. The people on this board often assume you know what XZA (or whatever) is and go on and on about it when many of us have no idea what they are talking about. I wish everyone here would spell out what they are talking about at least in the first line or so - they would get more answers that way.

I had a neighbor who was very very mad and called me because his new computer wasn't working and wanted me to help. The store sold him one and told him "it has wifi" and he could go on the internet with it, etc. Like most people, the store people just assumed that he understood the most basic concepts. Such as actually needing to have an internet connection.

I went to help him figure out what was wrong, and I asked him where his modem was. Blank stare... I asked him where the little box was that was connected to the internet cable. Another blank stare and a shrug. I asked if he bought a modem through is internet provider, or did he get one when he bought the computer... he had no idea what I was talking about. He just kept saying that the guy at the store told him that the computer came with internet.

ARRGH! I had to explain to him that his computer was only capable of connecting to the internet. Either through a wifi (wireless) connection, or through the Ethernet port (wired). And for that, he would need to buy internet service and use a modem and possibly a router depending on how he wanted to connect.

He looked so lost, I felt so bad. I told him that he could take his computer to public places that have wifi hot spots, and he would be able to connect through their internet providers. Or he would be able to take it to friends or family houses and use their internet - his computer was great. The internet just didn't come with it automatically.

Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 iam4truth said:
On 8/21/2014 Perkup said:

I had a neighbor who was very very mad and called me because his new computer wasn't working and wanted me to help. The store sold him one and told him "it has wifi" and he could go on the internet with it, etc. Like most people, the store people just assumed that he understood the most basic concepts. Such as actually needing to have an internet connection.

I went to help him figure out what was wrong, and I asked him where his modem was. Blank stare... I asked him where the little box was that was connected to the internet cable. Another blank stare and a shrug. I asked if he bought a modem through is internet provider, or did he get one when he bought the computer... he had no idea what I was talking about. He just kept saying that the guy at the store told him that the computer came with internet.

ARRGH! I had to explain to him that his computer was only capable of connecting to the internet. Either through a wifi (wireless) connection, or through the Ethernet port (wired). And for that, he would need to buy internet service and use a modem and possibly a router depending on how he wanted to connect.

He looked so lost, I felt so bad. I told him that he could take his computer to public places that have wifi hot spots, and he would be able to connect through their internet providers. Or he would be able to take it to friends or family houses and use their internet - his computer was great. The internet just didn't come with it automatically.

sorry for your friend but he could have asked more questions at the store such as
"I am a complete beginner at this" and what exactly would I need.