Trusted Contributor

Beware when buying printers from Walmart

Our printer bit the dust, so my husband went and got a new HP printer at Walmart. I was the one who opened the box at home and took the printer out and removed the packaging. It was sealed from the store. We installed it and tried to get it to print, but it would not work correctly. He took his receipt and printer (packed back in the box) back to the store to exchange it. As luck would have it, even with his receipt they would not take it back. Apparently the serial number of the printer was different than what was printed on the box. They said people were trying to scam the store by putting their old printers back in the box and trying to return them. Made my husband mad that they thought he was a thief. . I'm thinking their returns department must have put one of the defective models into another box to sell. Lessons learned: when buying something that has a serial number (such as the printer) make sure it's the same number on the item as on the box BEFORE you buy it at Walmart. Open it there in the store, I guess. He ended up having to buy a new one and made them open the box right there and compare the serial numbers (which matched this time).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Re: Beware when buying printers from Walmart

Sounds like it was already returned at least once before.

Super Contributor

Thank you SO much for bringing this to our attention
“There are two ways to be rich: One is by acquiring much, and the other is by desiring little.” —Jackie French Koller
Contributor

Wow, who would even think to compare serial numbers when purchasing a product. I guess we learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

That is a shame, you probably will never get it resolved because in my experience, the manager at Walmart is impossible to get a hold of.

Frequent Contributor

Anywhere you buy electronics you should open the box. I read one time that a guy who was printing counterfeit currency forgot to clear the printer and they caught him of course.

Super Contributor

On 8/15/2014 Holidaybug said:

Wow, who would even think to compare serial numbers when purchasing a product. I guess we learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Very helpful advise! I never would have thought to do that.
Contributor

I would mention this on BOTH WalMart's and HP's Facebook page. That's where I've had extremely good results when I've been wronged three of four times...G.E., Verizon, Canon. Great use of social media! I have used it about once a year for that purpose and have been very pleased!
Respected Contributor

That happened to me with a TV, yes it looked factory sealed and believe it or not, a smaller tv was packed in the box.

They are inside jobs, people who work at Walmart so my lesson was learned to always open and inspect what you are buying inside the store even though it doesn't look like it's been opened.

Trusted Contributor

I was going to suggest the same thing as Carole22. Facebook is the way to go and give specific details like the store you had the trouble in, who you spoke with, etc. Sorry that happened to you. I've read online of that happening before, usually with iPad's. Such a shame that there are so many dishonest people in the world who cause trouble for the honest ones. I hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*