Respected Contributor

Changing E-Mail address/ISP Change

We will be changing our ISP shortly, and will have to change our email address. I dread the thought of it. Is there an easy way of doing this in mass or must I go to each and every site I receive mail from to change it. The representative from Comcast said there were sites where you can change your email address easily in mass. I was reading somewhere that some people just purchase a domain name so they don't have to go thru this every time they change their ISP.

I have another email account on gmail and was thinking that if I have to change each site individually that I could start doing so now.

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: Changing E-Mail address/ISP Change

This is why having a yahoo or gmail account is great. No need to change your email address when you switch providers. I know this doesn't help you now but I would serisouly think about making your gmail your primary account instead of the email from your new provider. I work for a big company in the internet dept. Everyday I have a least one person distraught over the loss of an email address and emails. With an email address that is not attached to your service provider you are not going to run into this problem in the future
Respected Contributor

Thanks for your reply bichon_emma.

Somehow I think there must be an email forwarding service too, but I don't know.

We're in the process of getting cable where we live and have been offered a fantastic 2 year deal for telephone, internet and TV. The rep mentioned some websites, but he said it so quickly I didn't catch the name(s). I'll have to ask him again, but like you said it may be best not to continue using the ISP address for email. You never know, two years from now we may change again.

Trusted Contributor

If you're switching to Comcast, they have something called EasyChange.

customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/about-easychange

Contributor

Most ISP's, Charter, AT&T, etc., will automatically transfer your emails from your current provider. It's usually an option when you log into their email service the first time, and it takes just minutes. It's also not usually a one-time thing. They usually will do the forwarding into your new account for up to a year.

Honored Contributor

On 8/14/2014 CharliF said:

Most ISP's, Charter, AT&T, etc., will automatically transfer your emails from your current provider. It's usually an option when you log into their email service the first time, and it takes just minutes. It's also not usually a one-time thing. They usually will do the forwarding into your new account for up to a year.

I've found it true, too, that most of them offer a free service to move email to a new account, and some of them will allow you to transfer messages into an existing account. It's well worth it to contact the email provider and find out.

I think it's a good idea to keep your email account separate from the ISP since we never know when we might decide to switch to another company. I do have an email account with Comcast, because they automatically created one when I signed up for cable service. However, I immediately changed the settings to forward all mail to my Gmail account. That way, I never have to log into the Comcast email and if I drop the service I already have all the messages in my Gmail.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

If you're changing from AT&T U-verse, their e-mail is through Yahoo and I didn't have to change my e-mail when I dropped U-verse. I was allowed to keep that e-mail and never experiences a single glitch.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all very much! For the past 20 years we were only able to have Windstream as our ISP, recently Comcast wired our area. So we never had to give this much thought until now.

Honored Contributor

We had at least 6, maybe more, e-mail accounts just since we've lived in our present home. No "broadband" when we moved in so stuck with "dial-up". Then 1-way satellite became available. To access that you still needed a "dial-up" to be able to reach the central station to reach the satellite transmission. By 1-way, I mean in only had a "broadband" download speed. Upload was still via "dial-up".

If I remember right, aren't one that thought your 7mbps speed was slow? Don't know if you've ever used "dial-up", and if not you do not know what slow really is about. I just got 7mbps up from a 1.5mbps we've had for years now after we got away from "dial-up" and the 1-way satellite.

Needless to say we've had multiple e-mail addresses and I have never had a problem adding or making a new "address book" with any of the e-mail accounts and different ISP's.

I've always had a Yahoo or Hotmail account along with my regular e-mail address. There are some that have my address that I wish would lose it. If certain websites I visit require my e-mail address to do something there, I move on.

The only ones I am really concerned about are my couple hundred hockey players and the important people in my life. I have all of that info saved both on a backup drive and DVD so should I ever change again it will be very easy to add them in my new address book.

Don't personally know about any of the one's mentioned here as I have never used them.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for responding. I guess I am concerned as it is something I only did many years back. I think I will just change all emails to gmail I have all log in and password data saved in two places.

I see you remember my previous thread about our internet speed. We too started with dial up, then when we went Windstream our speed was initially 1.5 and then 3. Then about two years back we were able to pay extra and get 6 and now supposedly we are at 10. My problem wasn't so much the speed, but how the speed tanked on my laptop when husband used his laptop in another room.

However, hopefully after we get connected to Comcast this won't be an issue. I couldn't believe it when the rep told me the speed would be 100mbps. Much more then either of will ever need. Don't think my old brain & eyes will be able to keep up.