Contributor

GPS question about turn alerts

I am in the market for a new GPS stand alone system and my old Magellan had this gong sound immediately before a turn. You had the verbal notice as well (left turn in .5 miles etc), but I love the gong.

Does anyone know if their Garmin or Tom-Tom has a similar audio (not verbal) notice just before a turn? I see better reviews on the other systems, but have to say that gong was my safety net on when to turn. Or if you have a system you really love and why, that'd be great to hear.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Respected Contributor

Re: GPS question about turn alerts

My Garmin doesn't have a gong but, it repeats the turn directions multiple times when the next road/street is your turn.
Super Contributor

I have a Tom Tom and it does not have a gong either. If I am on a highway, it will provide advance notice of turns (e.g., coming up in two miles) but in cities, often times there is not enough time or distance to do so. The map does display turns as yellow arrows whereas the route is red, so that helps a bit.

Contributor

Thanks for your responses. I know there are features about other brands I like, but have to admit, especially when I'm concentrating, the 'gong' sound really works for me as in 'right now turn!" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I think I'll return to Magellan.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/12/2014 bunkster said:

Thanks for your responses. I know there are features about other brands I like, but have to admit, especially when I'm concentrating, the 'gong' sound really works for me as in 'right now turn!" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I think I'll return to Magellan.

I have a Magellan, and I like the "gong" too. I don't think I'd be happy without it.

Kiss

Honored Contributor

I think much progress has been made with all these systems, even the cheap basic ones. We currently have a Garmin from QVC, about two years old. No gong, but we don't miss what we've never had. My neighbors have a Magellan, no gong on that one, but its ancient.