Not applicable

So disappointed with laptop purchase/ Premier PC support a joke

I bought a Dell laptop from a TSV just over a year ago. This computer has been awful from day one, but my bad for not returning it. It turned into a $900 game computer for the kids. But now the computer has totally crashed.

Called Dell- only under 1 year warranty. I can pay to speak with someone there, though!

Called QVC- they couldn't care less, not returnable, not their problem

Called PC premier support that is advertised as picking up in under a minute? My first call was answered after 15 min on hold. And it was just someone saying everyone was busy and they would call me back. 2 hours later- no call back. I am now at 20+ min on hold for the second time today.

Fool me once, shame on you QVC. You will not have a chance to fool me twice. I won't be purchasing anything again.

Respected Contributor

Re: So disappointed with laptop purchase/ Premier PC support a joke

On 8/5/2014 claresmom said:

I bought a Dell laptop from a TSV just over a year ago. This computer has been awful from day one, but my bad for not returning it. It turned into a $900 game computer for the kids. But now the computer has totally crashed.

Called Dell- only under 1 year warranty. I can pay to speak with someone there, though!

Called PC premier support that is advertised as picking up in under a minute? My first call was answered after 15 min on hold. And it was just someone saying everyone was busy and they would call me back. 2 hours later- no call back. I am now at 20+ min on hold for the second time today.

Fool me once, shame on you QVC. You will not have a chance to fool me twice. I won't be purchasing anything again.

That's what happens when you use a notebook computer for gaming. It builds up too much heat and ruins it. The average life span for a "gaming computer" is 18 months and that's if you are lucky. Next time buy a desktop.

Esteemed Contributor

Or buy a laptop designed for gaming- and that's way more than $900!

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 ibb38 said:

Or buy a laptop designed for gaming- and that's way more than $900!

That doesn't help and you spend a lot of money for a computer that will fail due to over heating.

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 glb613 said:
On 8/5/2014 claresmom said:

That's what happens when you use a notebook computer for gaming. It builds up too much heat and ruins it. The average life span for a "gaming computer" is 18 months and that's if you are lucky. Next time buy a desktop.

I didn't know that glb. You learn something new everyday and that was my lesson for the day. I don't do gaming, but I sure didn't know that info. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

I too did not know this. Looks like buying from a store gives customer a chance to ask sales clerks questions, face to face. Besides Apple what is a reliable brand?
Respected Contributor

There is at least one post a week at CNet.com's message boards about a failed gaming notebook computer or someone asking about a gaming notebook computer. The moderators who post on a regular basis claim the lifespan of a gaming notebook computer is 18 months. From what's I've read, I believe it's true. In fact, there are games I won't play on my MacBook Pro because it makes it run too hot. Heat buildup is the number one cause of a notebook to fail.

Regular Contributor

That's why you see people who have gaming machines use these elaborate cooling systems, anywhere from a ton of fans to liquid cooling to people modifying air conditioners. When these hosts on QVC say it can be used for gaming, they are talking about candy crush style games, not Call of Duty type stuff.
Honored Contributor

Being absolutely fair, there are certainly some PC users who have perfect records with their equipment, and fairly and reasonably defend them, and just as certainly sometimes bad experiences with Apple/Mac equipment. It took me quite a long time to become anything like a "fan", but overall, the cordination of use between phones, tablets, and laptops, the continuity of services for older equipment, the apps, the ease of acquiring media, all amount to lots of plusses for me.
Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 ritasNo1Fan said: I too did not know this. Looks like buying from a store gives customer a chance to ask sales clerks questions, face to face. Besides Apple what is a reliable brand?

When you go to an Apple Retail Store, you are dealing with more than just "sales clerks". I've found the people there to be knowledgable, helpful and able to recommend the hardware and software that you need to do what you want to do with your computer. I heard that, at one time, the salespeople in the Apple Stores were not on commission. If that's still true, it would explain why you get the information and help that you do. We always buy our Apple products either from the Apple Store on-line or from an Apple Retail Store.

As far as tech support/service is concerned, we always purchase Apple Care. It gives us an extended access to tech support and an extended warranty. We prefer that route as opposed to "third party" support companies because we're dealing with Apple-supported services. Most other computer companies offer packages similar to Apple Care. Were we to buy other brands, we'd look for the same packages rather than rely on a "third-party" service company. We always prefer to deal with the manufacturer from start to finish.