Contributor

I'm new in the android phone world and looking for recommendations for one that is simple to use and not too pricey. Thanks for any ideas.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: no contract android phone

I like Tracfone. HSN and QVC both have them. The price varies a little but for somewhere around $100, you get the phone + 1 yr of service with 1200 talk, 1200 text and 1200 data.

HSN 364-015 and 359-746

QVC E226061 and E225843 E226143

They both also have a off brand, Valet for Tracfone but the device has terrible reviews.

Now I will say this, I'm ready for an upgrade, but I read on a blog that Tracfone is soon getting a new android version phone with a 4" screen and I am holding out for that.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I would go to Radio Shack, and look for a Tracfone. You may need help with the Sims card and activation. I would check reviews on QVC, and HSN. The phone I selected has the highest level of the Android OS. The question will the network associated with the phone work were you live and people you call.

Honored Contributor

My present phone is a Samsung Centura smart phone. I bought it from hsn for $99 and it came with 1400 minutes/1400 texts and 1400 data plan and 1 year prepaid service from TracFone. I have had a Tracfone for many years now and each year when my expiration date is getting near, I go to hsn and see what phone and Tracfone plan they have available, or wait for a today special to purchase. Getting a phone from them is cheaper than adding minutes to my old phones, much cheaper.

These are always an upgraded phone from my previous ones and with my present one they transferred my remaining 4,000+ minutes to my new phone. It now has closer to 5,000 of everything I listed above and does not expire until August of 2015. When they added the extra 3 months (15 months total)when I bought this phone that brought my "per month cost" down to around $6 per month and this for a phone that does it all, but is still as simple as they come for those that just want to talk, and that would be me.

TracFone, bar none has the best cell providers for our area of the country and that is T-Mobile and AT&T. Have never had a dropped call nor experienced anyplace in my home where I cannot make a call.

Don't think you can beat deals hsn offers no matter where you buy a phone, especially a TracFone.

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

On 8/1/2014 nutmeg3 said:

I would go to Radio Shack, and look for a Tracfone. You may need help with the Sims card and activation. I would check reviews on QVC, and HSN. The phone I selected has the highest level of the Android OS. The question will the network associated with the phone work were you live and people you call.

It has 4.4.4?? doubt it......
Respected Contributor

I have a Motorola Android 4. Granted, it's 2 years old but I got it for free. I have AT&T but my contract is up. I love the phone and hopefully it will last me a long, long time.

I agree with others though, if something happens to my phone, Tracfones are the way to go.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/1/2014 WIlliam Joseph said:
On 8/1/2014 nutmeg3 said:

It has 4.4.4?? doubt it......

This tracfone has 4.1.

Valued Contributor

I've been really happy with Straight Talk, but have decided to upgrade to a smart phone. Just yesterday I bought the Samsung Galaxy SIII from HSN for $199.99 + free shipping (5 easy pays if you need or want it) and it is for the Virgin Mobile $35.00 a month plan (unlimited text, unlimited data, 300 anytime minutes).

I have heard nothing but praise for this phone and this plan will work very well for me. There are usually videos on YouTube for just about any phone you are interested in and more reviews on Amazon than just about any place else.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/1/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

I've been really happy with Straight Talk, but have decided to upgrade to a smart phone. Just yesterday I bought the Samsung Galaxy SIII from HSN for $199.99 + free shipping (5 easy pays if you need or want it) and it is for the Virgin Mobile $35.00 a month plan (unlimited text, unlimited data, 300 anytime minutes).

I have heard nothing but praise for this phone and this plan will work very well for me. There are usually videos on YouTube for just about any phone you are interested in and more reviews on Amazon than just about any place else.

This phone is fine. Virgin Mobile service is provided by Sprint. Please make sure Sprint runs well in your area.

Valued Contributor

Hi Nutmeg3, yes, that was the only thing I was worried about, but my nephews tell me they never had any problems so I am hoping that is still true. Last year, they got nicer phones and are on some contract with their father and his girlfriend otherwise they would have stayed with Virgin Mobile.

I came close to getting a TracPhone, but in the end, decided this was the best choice - hope I was right. I get so tired of researching electronics, there is no such thing as a simple purchase anymore{#emotions_dlg.sad}