Esteemed Contributor

Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Good evening! First time buying a I pad or tablet, I was wondering which kind all of you like and which kinds you would not touch with a ten foot pole, I know I am not going to get one with 8.1 software. Have enough problems with my computers to know better. Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

I have an iPad Air and a Kindle HDX7" and hands down love my iPad more. I think the apps are better for the iPad than for the Kindle. Also my Kindle is new and doesn't hold a charge for long, the iPad holds a charge much longer. Now I realize my Kindle is smaller but I also have a Kindle HD that the charge goes very quickly.

Respected Contributor

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

I love my Kindle HDX, however I have never had an IPad to compare it to. All I know is if you decide to go with the IPad, the largest one is entirely to big in my opinion to tote around. If you would only be using it at home, it would be ok. I know you CAN tote it, I just wouldn't want to.

My friend totes hers around since that is all she has and it is looks cumbersome to me.

Super Contributor

I have an iPad and love it! I use it daily for lots of things instead of my desktop.
Honored Contributor

I had an Asus I loved but it died after only 15 months and had been in for service while still under warranty so I would not buy another. My DH has a Samsung he likes - the 8" one. currently I am using a Chromebook - I like it ok - it has some limitations but it does what I need it for.

I am certain many here will tell you to get an ipad - but I looked into them carefully as they are so much more money and I did not find that I feel I need all that the i pad can do so why pay for stuff you aren't going to use. As with ALL electronics - you have to be realistic about what your needs are before buying. If you only want to post to forums like this and get e mail, maybe FB - take and share a few pictures a much less expensive tablet will work just fine for you.

Respected Contributor

I have Ipad mini that I take with me to work and regular size ipad. Love them.
Honored Contributor

Android is the most popular operating system by a long measure. If you for some reason prefer the "i guys" plan on spending a lot more and for a fixed amount of memory. Sure they do some things that cannot be done with an Android System, but it is debatable if many things that the Android does are better than the "i things".

I personally research and research before I buy any electronic device. When my wife wanted a tablet I read everything I could comparing the "i things" to an Android System. At that time an "i tablet" cost at least twice as much and also had a "fixed amount of memory". The ones I looked at did not even have a front facing camera.

Android all the way here and until something better comes along I haven't bought into any of the things put out by Apple when it comes to anything but Mac computers.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My advice? Don't buy a generic brand cheapy. Total waste of money.

Super Contributor

On 7/30/2014 hckynut said:

Android is the most popular operating system by a long measure. If you for some reason prefer the "i guys" plan on spending a lot more and for a fixed amount of memory. Sure they do some things that cannot be done with an Android System, but it is debatable if many things that the Android does are better than the "i things".

I personally research and research before I buy any electronic device. When my wife wanted a tablet I read everything I could comparing the "i things" to an Android System. At that time an "i tablet" cost at least twice as much and also had a "fixed amount of memory". The ones I looked at did not even have a front facing camera.

Android all the way here and until something better comes along I haven't bought into any of the things put out by Apple when it comes to anything but Mac computers.

hckynut, we've had this discussion before. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The reason that Android is the most popular operating system for mobile devices is because it is open source -- so every fly-by-night company can use it to run their inferior products. Some companies that use Android produce quality smart phones and tablets, but many do not. If you have been on the QVC electronics board for the last 3 years or so, you have seen cheap tablets offered that fail to have even the most rudimentary features. They run Android.

So, be very careful using market share to sway your opinion as to whether to buy an Android device. All Android devices are not the same because tons of companies use it to run their devices. Some of them produce high level hardware.....others, not so much.

Something else to consider -- some folks will tell you that Android has umpteen thousand apps available. Many devices that run Android do not allow you to download apps from Google Play which is the app store with tens of thousands of apps. The Kindle tablets, for example, use a forked Android operating system......meaning that the base system is Android, but Amazon modifies it to only allow downloads from their own app store.

It is recommended that if you use an Android device that you download an anti-virus/malware app on it and keep it up-to-date. If you want to see how prevalent Android malware is, do an internet search. Windows users are used to fighting malware, but if you don't want to do that, consider an iPad.

Apple produces a quality hardware product and screens every app that is put into the Apple App Store, thereby ensuring the customer has good experience. Apple's marketing strategy is very different from most companies -- it is not to have the most devices in the world running iOS. You will pay extra for an Apple device -- just like you pay more for a good quality car.

Honored Contributor

On 7/31/2014 Cha1k said:
On 7/30/2014 hckynut said:

hckynut, we've had this discussion before. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The reason that Android is the most popular operating system for mobile devices is because it is open source -- so every fly-by-night company can use it to run their inferior products. Some companies that use Android produce quality smart phones and tablets, but many do not. If you have been on the QVC electronics board for the last 3 years or so, you have seen cheap tablets offered that fail to have even the most rudimentary features. They run Android.

So, be very careful using market share to sway your opinion as to whether to buy an Android device. All Android devices are not the same because tons of companies use it to run their devices. Some of them produce high level hardware.....others, not so much.

Something else to consider -- some folks will tell you that Android has umpteen thousand apps available. Many devices that run Android do not allow you to download apps from Google Play which is the app store with tens of thousands of apps. The Kindle tablets, for example, use a forked Android operating system......meaning that the base system is Android, but Amazon modifies it to only allow downloads from their own app store.

It is recommended that if you use an Android device that you download an anti-virus/malware app on it and keep it up-to-date. If you want to see how prevalent Android malware is, do an internet search. Windows users are used to fighting malware, but if you don't want to do that, consider an iPad.

Apple produces a quality hardware product and screens every app that is put into the Apple App Store, thereby ensuring the customer has good experience. Apple's marketing strategy is very different from most companies -- it is not to have the most devices in the world running iOS. You will pay extra for an Apple device -- just like you pay more for a good quality car.

I'm not Matty6, but I've read articles that have pretty much said this too, only you stated it much more succinctly! I'm not into tech stuff at all, but I've been considering getting some sort of tablet also (I would also be a first-time tablet user) just to stay up with what's happening.

While I wouldn't relish spending more, I do realize Apple products have always been more expensive as their target audience has been different than say, Microsoft or Google. I was interested in Apple mainly for the supposed easy of use for first-timers and as you say. Since I don't even have any type of smartphone with similar technology, I need something as easy as possible to use!

Thank you for this post; every bit of additional information I get is helpful!