Super Contributor

My friend got her new HP laptop yesterday it is just for home use she keeps it plugged in 24/7 she did charge the battery but she was asking me if she can leave the battery in all the time I told her I really didn't know. Can anyone tell me if she does leave it in will it damage the laptop?

Respected Contributor

Re: Laptop Battery Question?

I take it you mean "leave the battery plugged into the wall" and the answer is yes, it's no problem to do that. I do that with my HP. It's always plugged in unless there is a thunderstorm.

Respected Contributor

I used to have an HP laptop, I kept the battery in all the time even when plugged into wall. After a year, when I would try to run the laptop on battery only, the charge would last about six minutes.

I called HP, they told me that leaving the battery in the laptop after it's completley charged will significantly shorten the life of the battery. So after paying $135 for a new battery, I no longer left the battery in if the laptop was plugged in. My second battery lasted five years.

Super Contributor

On 7/29/2014 Campion said:

I take it you mean "leave the battery plugged into the wall" and the answer is yes, it's no problem to do that. I do that with my HP. It's always plugged in unless there is a thunderstorm.

Yes she wants to leave the battery in the laptop not take it out and just keep the laptop plugged into the wall 24/7 I read on the internet some articles said yes you could leave the battery in others say take it out. She did contact HP chat they told her to remove it. My husband said it should be ok left in that the battery should not over charge. She is worried if she does leave it in it will overheat and damage the laptop.

Respected Contributor

Take the battery out! I have an HP laptop and left the battery in while it was plugged in and my battery died way too early. Now, I have it plugged in w/o a battery and am using it that way until I get enough money together to buy another battery, which BTW are NOT cheap. Also, as some others posted.. HP recommends taking the battery out. Battery operation is meant to use when you don't have or don't want access to regular electric.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

Take the battery out.

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for posting she did take it out.

Super Contributor

She can leave it plugged in, but every few days she should unplug it and drop it down to just below 50%, then plug it back in. I wouldn't take it lower than 20% before plugging it back in. So somewhere between 25% and 45% plug in again to 100%. Do this every 3-4 days, not everyday. It will keep the battery healthy.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for asking this question. I never thought about this before, but it seems like taking it out when it's usually plugged in is a good idea.

Regular Contributor

Remove the battery if you keep it plugged in.