Valued Contributor

I'm considering a new laptop. Have been using a Toshiba Satellite with Vista for about 6 years. Should I get one with Windows 8.1 or is there something new coming out in the very near future? Any advice? Thank you!

Respected Contributor
Windows 9 is years away. If you need a new computer, get either one with windows 8.1 or Windows 7. You can find Windows 7 computers either at the manufacturer's website or selected electronic stores.
Valued Contributor
On 7/27/2014 glb613 said: Windows 9 is years away. If you need a new computer, get either one with windows 8.1 or Windows 7. You can find Windows 7 computers either at the manufacturer's website or selected electronic stores.

Thanks for your reply. Wasn't sure if 8.2 was arriving in the next month or two! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It will be a download if it does.

Valued Contributor
On 7/27/2014 glb613 said:

It will be a download if it does.

Thanks. I learn so much here. Didn't think about that!

Respected Contributor

I have both a Toshiba Qosmio and an HP 15. I prefer the HP. Toshiba is known for good laptops and it was almost 3x as much, and it has everything but the kitchen sink but the HP is better. I don't like the Toshiba keyboard and the wifi needed repairing out of the box (not difficult, but annoying.) The HP has been rock solid. (I used to spec out and buy PC's for a firm I worked for, so I'm kind of fussy about PCs. At one point, I was one of their biggest buyers! I even got to visit a few of the component factories.)

However, the Toshiba is slick looking. I was given that one as an evaluation model (I write articles occasionally) but, if I were buying a Toshiba on my own, I'd go with a Satellite. One reason, aside from the brushed aluminum shell, is you can get it with Win 7.

As to Win 8. It is somewhat annoying, if you are used to Win 7. However, there is a download that lets you emulate Win 7 and it's free. Article on making Win 8 more like Win 7.

Esteemed Contributor

I have Window 8.1 in a new computer I brought a month ago. Setting up 8.1 was a little different. Here is a tutorial from Microsoft http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tutorial

I found a Kindle Windows 8.1 Field Guide http://www.amazon.com/Windows-8-1-Field-Guide-quickest-ebook/dp/B00KNAHEAG

Valued Contributor

Thank you Campion and nutmeg3. Appreciate your help. I am not afraid of 8.1. I just wasn't sure if there was some new version coming out next week. I have really enjoyed my Toshiba, but have had HP in the past and been happy with that, too. Again, I learn so much here, and really appreciate all the good info and advice!