Regular Contributor

This group is so helpful. I've been getting a lot of calls on my land line and when I pick up and say hello it is just dead, no dial tone, nothing. I say hello a couple times and wait to see if a recording will come on but nothing. Like everyday. Today it happened like 4 times. Should I call the phone company? Don't want to be paranoid but is someone casing my house?

Super Contributor
I have a land lie and get calls like that....I would not worry about it being someone casing you.
Trusted Contributor
Of course! Do it now. I notice when I get those pesky robo calls, there is a dead delay after I answer & before the caller speaks.. I can always tell that it is one of those annoying people. But check it out.
Respected Contributor

I have caller ID. If I see it is an 800 number or from a totally odd area code, I lift up and put it down. If not, I let it go and the answering service picks up on it. If the number keeps showing up, I put it on my call rejection list. I'd get rid of the land line, but our computer DSL comes with it.

Honored Contributor

Are you on the No-Call list?

Super Contributor

Robo calls. I get an occasional call that after a period of dead air, the computer says "Good bye." {#emotions_dlg.bored}

Super Contributor

I get these often, also. I suspect they are robot calls - other than a minor annoyance, I just don't worry about them.

Honored Contributor

the only time i answer my landline now is when i know the caller......all other calls will be picked up by my voicemail. if they leave a message, great......if they dont, even better! Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor
On 7/25/2014 sunshine45 said:

the only time i answer my landline now is when i know the caller......all other calls will be picked up by my voicemail. if they leave a message, great......if they dont, even better! Wink

That's my motto as well. Anyone close to me knows my cell phone if they really need to get in touch. The only reason we still have a land line is because my husband's parents are getting up there in age and will usually call the house phone.

Respected Contributor

My land line phone with ans. machine announces to us who is calling as well as telling us and displaying the telephone #.

If we do not answer the ans. machine will pick up but if the caller is silent or just hangs up the ans. machine shuts off.

Another feature I just used is if a call comes in and there is no phone number listed I programmed the phone to disconnect the call and not sound the 1 ring.

Since the item just arrived 2 days ago we are still learning the new features and must say so far this telephone system is a real keeper.

We already transferred all of our 2 cell phone contact #'s to the phone system and it was done with a couple of clicks. Actually now all our contacts are all added into the system.

In the past we noticed a lot of calls to the cell phones which also included robo calls.....very irritating, but now since we can bluetooth pair the 2 cell phones to also ring on the land phone line when a cell phone call comes in I believe those irritating calls will now no longer get through. Also we each pick a different ring tone so we know who the call is for coming in from the cell phone to the land line phone with ans. machine.

This system also has a battery back up and you do not even need a land line to use it provided you have blue tooth paired your cell phone to the phone system.

Should the electric go off the handset remains active using the battery back up to allow us to make emergency calls to others.

Now with this newest telecommunications technology it makes it much easier to appreciate not being irritated by unwanted callers.

We are on the do not call list, but that still needs to be perfected.