Super Contributor

What is causing my computer to freeze up? Takes at least 15 minutes for the home page to come up. About as long to get in email. Once in email, it freezes up again. I turned the computer off and tried to start again, but the same thing.

Super Contributor

Sorry, I mean computer problem.

Trusted Contributor
Try a reboot.
Respected Contributor

Is it only internet functions that are slow and freezing up? If that's the case, it could be your modem is going out or your ISP service is having problem. You can run an internet connection speed test, there are sites you can find using google to do this. If the report shows significantly less than what you are paying your ISP to provide you with, you need to contact them.

Super Contributor
If the internet test shows that is not the problem, then try clearing the cache and cookies.
Honored Contributor

This just start doing this or has it been slowing down little by little? This question is pretty vague and the more information you can the better the chances of someone being able to help you figure this out.

Have you done a regular Defrag or your computer and/or a error check for the C:drive? Is all of your virus protection up to date? Do you have it do a regular schedule scan for virus/maleware and other things harmful to your computer?

Do you have DSL or Cable broadband and if so what is the speed? If this is only happening when you go online, it is probably more of a server/download speed or browser problem. I you don't know the download speed of your broadband there are many sites where you can check it for free. Google and type in "download speed" and you will have a lot of places you can check it.

Only other thing I can suggest is to "unplug your modem for 30 seconds and then plug it back it". You will have to wait a few minutes while it resets, and then see if that helps you.

About all I can tell you from what you have said here and you have already restarted your computer and that did not help.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I unplugged it for about 30 minutes. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for all the feedback.

Super Contributor
When this happens are you hearing the fans? If you touch the computer, does it also feel hot? Not sure if you are on desktop or laptop.
Trusted Contributor
On 7/25/2014 shiningstar said:

I unplugged it for about 30 minutes. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for all the feedback.

this ""reboot"" always helps