Esteemed Contributor

Wireless Router Question (AKA Help a Dummy?)

I bought a new router, looking for a little more range than my old one.

My old one has 10/100 ethernet ports

I just realized this new router says it has 10/100/1000 gigabit ports.

Will this work with my current modem?

TIA

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wireless Router Question (AKA Help a Dummy?)

Is the question just too dumb to answer?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I have installed three modems and I do not have a clue what those numbers mean

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

wow...I just installed a new modem about an hour ago and my old router works fine with it, but router has only one Ethernet hole. Your new router must be huge to have all those holes. BTW, it took awhile for Comcast to activate this dumb modem. The first rep told me I had to do all the foot work with a cell phone because I had to take apart the old modem. Of course, we were disconnected. I put all the cables back into the old modem, called Comcast again, this rep said she could do everything on her end. And it eventually worked. Took about 2.5 hours. Your new router should have instructions. And it should be pretty easy to activate.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/23/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

I have installed three modems and I do not have a clue what those numbers mean

Thanks for answering me. I never realized till I read the box that there was anything different. I thought they were all pretty much the same connection wise. Just some more powerful than others?

Trusted Contributor

On another note. Have you ever tried to explain to a total tech newbie what is, and how does WIFI work??? My elderly neighbor was given a Kindle for Mothers Day and she is soooo confused. Just can't understand how those books get in there! And I'm not that good at explaining as I really don't know how either!!!! Same thing with - how does a voice go through a wire to your phone???? Or even more confusing - through the air???

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/23/2014 ritasNo1Fan said:

wow...I just installed a new modem about an hour ago and my old router works fine with it, but router has only one Ethernet hole. Your new router must be huge to have all those holes. BTW, it took awhile for Comcast to activate this dumb modem. The first rep told me I had to do all the foot work with a cell phone because I had to take apart the old modem. Of course, we were disconnected. I put all the cables back into the old modem, called Comcast again, this rep said she could do everything on her end. And it eventually worked. Took about 2.5 hours. Your new router should have instructions. And it should be pretty easy to activate.

I think with Cox Cable, I shouldn't have to activate a router? Same modem, just want more wireless range at home. The signal has been a little weak at the opposite end of the house.

The new router is a Linksys EA2700 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Router. It has 4 ports and it is about 8" X 8".

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/23/2014 gonnab said:

On another note. Have you ever tried to explain to a total tech newbie what is, and how does WIFI work??? My elderly neighbor was given a Kindle for Mothers Day and she is soooo confused. Just can't understand how those books get in there! And I'm not that good at explaining as I really don't know how either!!!! Same thing with - how does a voice go through a wire to your phone???? Or even more confusing - through the air???

LOL, I don't envy you trying to explain. "It just does" doesn't cut it any more does it?{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Trusted Contributor

The new router will be fine. It just has extra speed capability.

Trusted Contributor

You are correct. The modem has to be Cable company activated. Router you can do yourself. Comcast wouldn't help me with my router because it is one I bought, not from them. I know you will have to add new password to router and then change your computer p-word. Did a DVD come with new router? Your new router sounds good! I will probably have to change mine soon. Netflix buffers a lot in one room.