Respected Contributor

I finally got the phone call about my Windows computer

The caller had a heavy accent, claimed my computer was sending all types of messages to their servers and needed fixed. I asked how much it was going to cost to fix my Windows computer. I also asked how stupid does he think I am. He wouldn't give me an answer because I think he was caught off guard. I told him he might be able to scam some people but it wasn't going to be me. I laughed and hung up.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I finally got the phone call about my Windows computer

"They" call me about once a week, I don't answer but I know it's "them" because I've googled the phone number that shows on my caller ID which takes me to a link called 1-800 notes where people report tons of scam phone numbers and who they're from. My sister-in-law fell for this, whoa boy did she have problems getting her computer squared away after that. I use that 1-800 notes site to check out all the calls I get from unknown numbers. Repeated callers I block, "they" are next on my list to block if they call again. But first I might actually answer the phone the next time and give them a bit of a run around before blocking them.

Respected Contributor

I've gotten ""the call"" also--several times

Respected Contributor

At one time I was getting a lot of those calls. I've told them I knew it was a scam and I've also told them that I don't have a computer and they even got really nasty a couple of times. Once or twice when I knew it was them, I have answered the phone by saying I was the county sheriff's office/fraud squad and to which detective could I direct their call, lol, they hung up.

Honored Contributor

LOL!!! Good for you. I tell the scammers that all the time. I only wish everyone knew better so they did not get scammed. My sister emailed & asked me about this. I told her it was a scam. My MIL got the phone call about her grandson being some place & needing money. She was very upset as he had passed away not long before the phone call. She said even though it kind of sounded like him she knew it was not & told the caller that.

Honored Contributor

I block any incoming call that has an area code I don't know and the caller id doesn't have a person's name. Every once and a while I'll answer if I'm not sure and it reinforces that there's no need to check.

Respected Contributor

I think we should play games with them! Ask I bunch of dumb questions, get them really excited like they got a live one! If they call me again, I will! LOL
Honored Contributor

Good idea.........play along with them.......pretend that we are doing exactly what they are telling us to do..........say......'yes, I clicked on that', etc., etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. Just keep them on the line.........time is money, so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

LOL!