Respected Contributor

So, I must have picked up a virus malware type of thing. HP laptop. There is some sort of "menu" along the side that shows ads, and a bogus survey page comes up sometimes when I load new screens. I can click them away, but they come back. I do have up to date Norton, but it did not stop this!

Any ideas or advice? Other than a professional cleanse?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

You don't need a professional cleanse. Have you updated Norton and run a scan? What other security software is installed?

Trusted Contributor

Open your list of installed programs and sort them by date. Check to see if anything questionable was installed recently. Also check your browser tools for any questionable add-ons. That'll give you a name to help find a remedy.

Super Contributor
Could this be a tool bar add on? Here is a link discussing one in IE. It has surveys... http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Internet-Explorer-Toolbar-by-SweetPacks-7127-program.aspx
Honored Contributor

Sounds like it might be pop-up ads. Have you added something to the computer lately? Many times with ""free"" things pop-up advertising is part of the ""free"". If the answer is ""yes"" you might want to consider uninstalling whatever this ""free"" program or whatever it happens to be.

Might want to check your browser and make sure how you have the ""block pop-up setting. With most browsers it is under ""tools"" and one of the tabs.

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

It sounds like you picked up some malware somewhere. Download and run Malwarebytes, an excellent free program, and it should get rid of it for you.

Good luck! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}