Esteemed Contributor

Tablet Question.....Need Help

Friends, I really need your help. I don't have a computer, just a Kindle. The Kindle works ok, but, only in my home. I need your advice on a tablet that I can use for the internet, to view certain shows on hulu, and something that I can take outside or anywhere with WiFi and still use the device. I also do not have a boatload of money to spend on a device. Thanks so much for your help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tablet Question.....Need Help

What kind of Kindle do you have? As far as I know, every Kindle should have wi-fi and work anywhere with a wi-fi connection. I have two and they both work most places.

You might just need someone to help you connect to a wi-fi signal outside your home.

Respected Contributor

Are you wanting to use it when there is no wifi? Or are you just having trouble hooking it up to wifi when you are away from home?

You should be able to use wifi anywhere on your Kindle as it is available. If there is not wifi, then you have to get a tablet or Kindle that has 3/4 G. But then you have to pay for service each month that you use it on 3 or 4G.

Esteemed Contributor

I just have a basic version. If I sit outside on my patio I have no internet connection. When I ask my family they tell me not to worry about it. The device does have WiFi in the settings. I am just not up on this technology.

Esteemed Contributor

How do you connect to WiFi if you are away?

Respected Contributor

On 7/21/2014 grandma r said:

How do you connect to WiFi if you are away?

You have to be somewhere where there is wifi like McDonald's, etc. We live in a rural community and we don't have wifi everywhere like other people talk about.

Even at the airport, it isn't good enough to watch hulu.

Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 grandma r said:

I just have a basic version. If I sit outside on my patio I have no internet connection. When I ask my family they tell me not to worry about it. The device does have WiFi in the settings. I am just not up on this technology.

The Kindle basic version doesn't even have color, so I'm guessing you have a Kindle Fire? If you are able to download and view content, you do have wi-fi. It's possible that your signal is not powerful enough to reach where you want it to go. You might be able to move your modem or whatever device you have that you get your internet through so that it's closer to the patio. You might need a new device or a wi-fi booster to connect you to the internet. You can get boosters from Walmart. They're like a radio or TV antennae, but for your mobile device. (You'll need a more tech savvy person inside your home to tell you if any of these options possible for your situation. I can't tell you that without seeing what you have and where it all is.) If you DO get a booster, make sure that your wi-fi is secure, because your neighbors might be able to get on it, too.

If that is not possible and you cannot get your own wi-fi signal to reach your patio, you will need a tablet with a mobile internet provider. That means a tablet that's automatically about $100 more than a wi-fi only tablet, and you'll need a monthly service contract, like a cell phone with internet. If you're replacing your current Kindle, you might want contact Amazon and ask them about their electronics trade-in program. You might be able to send them your old Kindle and get back a gift card to use on a new one.

Super Contributor

If your sitting on your patio and not getting your home wifi signal, then your wifi router is not giving a strong enough signal. So it doesn't have anything to do with the kindle you are using. You can try moving the router, see if you can move it to the highest place in the room it is currently located. Think of the signal like an antenna, the higher up, the better signal. You can also go online and try to change the channel that the router is currently associated with. Sometimes, if many in the same area use the same channel, you get a weaker strength. If you select a channel not many are using you have better signal. Or you may need to replace the router with one that provides a stronger signal. Or you may need to create an extended network, which is done by purchasing a second router and placing it in another room of your house away from the first router. Then you connect (through wifi, not physically connect) the second router to the first. In this way you create a chain, so to speak, of wifi through your house and it extends the network further.
Respected Contributor

you can get kindles now with a data plan, I think sprint is giving out samsung galaxy 3 for free w/contract. I own a Kindle HDX, iPad Air, Samsung galaxy and my iPad is the best. data plan is with ATT. they also have it where you can pay in installments over 24 moths or 18 months I believe. Att has other tablets also for instalments I am sure. I got my samsung free with sprint but I am not happy with it. ipad is so much better

Esteemed Contributor

My vote is for an Wi-Fi iPad Air. The pad will run all your favorite apps, Hulu, Kindle Amazon Prime Videos etc. I would recommend a pad to anyone who does not own a computer. When you get your new tablet contact your cable or DSL company to check your internet speed. If you are still using an older cable modem or wireless router, it might be time for upgrade.