Esteemed Contributor

Rear Car Lights Not Going Off

I just drove home (I have a Honda Accord, 1987) and into my garage. My front lights shut off --- but my back lights remain on. Any ideas about what the problem could be? Never happened before.

Super Contributor

Re: Rear Car Lights Not Going Off

On 7/20/2014 kivah said:

I just drove home (I have a Honda Accord, 1987) and into my garage. My front lights shut off --- but my back lights remain on. Any ideas about what the problem could be? Never happened before.

Time for a check up. Sounds like a short.

Respected Contributor

Try starting up the car, turn on the lights again, turn off, then turn off the car again and see if it at least shuts down for the night so you won't have a dead battery. Hope it works. Then get in for service.
Esteemed Contributor

My neighbor Chet just came over. He's very handy. The little stopper for my brake light switch broke (nr the brake pedal). I've been driving my 1987 Honda Accord for 27-1/2 yrs. Now I can drive to Honda tomorrow. Thx

Respected Contributor

Hope you don't have a dead battery in the morning.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 kivah said:

Forget the back lights your biggest problem is you are driving a Honda! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} Be an American, drive only an American made vehicle. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Our neighbor had that happen. I used to walk by their house with the dog early in the morning and their rear lights would be on. I first thought someone was in the car. But morning after morning would be the same thing. I wondered what kind of battery they had in the car - I wanted to buy one. I could not believe their battery wasn't dead.

After a week or so they got it fixed.

Honored Contributor

Hope you've gotten that fixed by now. I had that happen not too long ago in my older model Mercury. It was, I believe, the brake light switch. The dealer said that had it gone completely and had I had my emergency brake on, I'd have not been able to move the car. But beyond that, anyone driving behind me would think I was braking. And, of course, the drain on your battery. All in all, needs quick attention.

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 ID2 said:
On 7/20/2014 kivah said:

Forget the back lights your biggest problem is you are driving a Honda! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} Be an American, drive only an American made vehicle. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Sure, why drive something that lasts 30 years when you could've had three or 4 American cars by now?
Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 luvthatboxer said:
On 7/21/2014 ID2 said:

Sure, why drive something that lasts 30 years when you could've had three or 4 American cars by now?

To both above. The name on a motor vehicle does not mean it is American made. Any motor vehicle that has a "certain percentage" of its parts that are "Made in the USA" can state they are "Made in America", even if it put together elsewhere. It is Toyota/Honda and Kia, just to name a few that are built in the United States.

Argue what you will but what I said above are the facts.

This is for you luvthatboxer unless your "nic" is referring to a pugilist.

photo farrahcropped3_zpsd45370d7.jpg

hckynut(john)