Super Contributor

Kindle owners - remember to "borrow" a book from Amazon - Prime Members

Every month, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you are eligible to borrow a book. I forgot that goodie for the first month of my Prime membership. Last night I was about to buy a book and noticed the little blurb about borrowing that same book. In just a couple of steps the book was on my Kindle. On May first I'll be able to borrow another book.
Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle owners - remember to ""borrow"" a book from Amazon - Prime Members

This one feature alone pays for my prime membership. The borrowing books are not just throw-aways either! Love this service.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the reminder! I'll check my downloaded samples and see which ones are available to borrow.

Respected Contributor

It's a great service and I do use it every month.

Valued Contributor

I purchased the Kindle HDX 7" several weeks ago. While I'm still getting used to it, I LOVE it. I do have a question if anyone would be kind enough to answer. I know that for the 1st month of ownership of the Kindle, one receives Kindle Prime for free. I've viewed some movies and borrowed a book. Once the free Prime expires, is it worth my while to pay the $99 and keep it. I rarely shop and have never bought anything from Amazon. Aside from my professional books, I do not buy books. I borrow books from my local library and can get them for free on my Kindle. I also don't purchase videos as I can get them for free from my library. Are there any benefits to me to keep Prime? If so, would you be kind enough to let me know what they are? Also, I am able to return my e-books to my library before their due date. Is there a way I can do that with the Kindle book I borrowed? If so, how? As you can tell, I'm new to this Kindle experience, have a lot to learn, and will greatly appreciate any and all information and advice you can offer. I have to work today but I'll check back after work. Thank you so much for your time and expertise. docsgirl

Super Contributor

When you borrow a book, do you have to return it at the end of the month? Or does it just disappear? Also, is there any way to identify a borrowed book vs. a purchased book?

Honored Contributor

Is Prime worth it? To me it's absolutely worth it! I'm always ordering stuff from Amazon and the free 2-day shipping is fantastic. I also watch a lot of Prime videos/movies and was able to kill off my Netflix account which saves me more than Prime cost. In addition to borrowing books you also get one of four new books free to keep forever using the new Kindle First feature. Not only do you get it free, but you get it before it's commercially released! I got "I am Livia" by Phyllis T. Smith this month (you've still got a week to pick it up if you haven't) and it's a very good book. On May first four new books will appear that you can choose from.

In short you get a Netflix type streaming service (widely rumored to be expanding greatly with the new higher fee for Prime), free 2-day shipping on most items, free book borrowing, and a free $4.99 book each month. When you add up the value of all of that the savings of Prime is pretty impressive. A year of Netflix streaming is currently $7.99/month but increasing soon to $8.99-$9.99 so the minimum you'd be paying would be $95.88 for a year of Netflix and as much as $119.88 at their new higher price. Free shipping saves a ton depending on how much stuff you order. I personally save over a hundred dollars a year on shipping. Twelve free $4.99 books is another $59.88 in value. It's pretty easy to say you get a couple of hundred dollars plus of value from a $99 investment in Prime. It's a very good deal.

Do borrowed books just disappear? No. You have to return them. On your "Manage your Kindle" page there's an "Actions" option for each item on your Kindle. For the borrowed book you simply select "Return" or whatever and the book is gone and you're free to borrow something new on the first of the next month. And the borrowed books are highlighted in some manner, but I forget how now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

JudgeJudith I don't know the answers to your questions but I have a friend who knows all about Kindle and I'll ask her on FB.
Super Contributor

Oh.. You got good answers.
Trusted Contributor

Prime would not be worth it for me, and I am a BIG Amazon shopper, (sorry QVC). I borrow my eBooks free from my library, or I get the free Kindle books. I always have something in my cart, that I buy regularly that will bump my order over $35. I can easily wait an extra day or two for my order, so I will not pay for 2 day shipping. My cable provider offers all their services on line so whatever I subscribe to is available to me-My kids can also access my cable account, so they watch, whatever I can access.

I don't understand the mentality that Prime is such a great deal, when you can get the same benefits by just managing your orders and being patient. For instance, there's some things that I have to buy anyway, that I keep in my cart. If I want to buy something that does not cost $35, I just add one of my cart items =free regular shipping. I get it within 3 to 5 days. Like I said, the other things like Kindle books, and movies are easy enough to access through other sources-so the Prime membership is a false value, (IMO).