Frequent Contributor

Does everyone buy screen protector/covers ...

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Hi all.

DH and I got new I phone 5C's from Verizon with their latest offer of free 5C's for us- we both had 4S previously for about 2.5 yrs. Never put a screen protector on but did have the Belkin rubberized protector for back (covered the partial front border).

Our DD said to buy screen protectors as we would be taking a chance not putting one on (and she said go to Verizon, Best Buy etc and have them put them on for you). Just wondering how many on this board handle that for a 5C

Also am wondering if we should go with Apple Care again or Square Trade...any thoughts on this as well?

Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

Re: Does everyone buy screen protector/covers ...

why would you go to Apple Care, that would be only if the screen is cracked, if you put the screen protector on there would be less chance you would get screen damage if the the phone was dropped

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

On 4/23/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

why would you go to Apple Care, that would be only if the screen is cracked, if you put the screen protector on there would be less chance you would get screen damage if the the phone was dropped

I didn't explain that second question right. I also wondered in addition what insurance plan many use for a general insurance/warranty service for their cell.... I used my Apple Care plan once in all that time and got a new phone when there was an issue with the volume after a year or so...wasn't necessary speaking about just a screen issue, but total overall insurance should something go wrong. Won't be going with the provider and pay the $120 per year PLUS $169 deductible....Apple Care and Square Trade offer 2 yrs for $99 I believe....sorry I was unclear about that

Honored Contributor

I'm on my 4th iPhone (by choice, not because any broke.) I used to put a screen protector on as soon as I took the phone out of the box. I stopped doing that with my last iPhone. My last iPhone got a crack in front glass, down in the corner. It was a round crack that made a crescent moon of the corner. I don't know how or when it happened, exactly, but I know that I had the phone for another 10 months or so and it never moved, fell out, or got worse. I was lucky in that it wasn't a spiderweb type crack, didn't obscure anything, and was cut in a way that made it hard to expand. I was unlucky in that it was on the front, because all the inside parts are glued to the front and it's much more difficult to repair than the back glass. I don't believe having a screen protector would have prevented it. I used screen protectors more for scratches, but in the years I've had iPhones, I've never had a scratch on the glass, just that one crack. That's why I stopped using the screen protector. I feel like they were more important for older iPods, which don't have the same glass and do scratch.

If you want it for peace of mind, go for it. They're not very expensive.

Which protection plan you go for is up to you. Here's a web page with a comparison. (The page was partly broken the last time I looked, so you may need to scroll down for the content.)

Honored Contributor

I have the self-sticking plastic sheet protector on my 5-S because it gets shoved it in and out of my bag and didn't want to scratch it.

Have lifetime replacement insurance if lost or stolen because I dropped one overboard.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

On 4/23/2014 GemNBeautyMadness said:
On 4/23/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

I didn't explain that second question right. I also wondered in addition what insurance plan many use for a general insurance/warranty service for their cell.... I used my Apple Care plan once in all that time and got a new phone when there was an issue with the volume after a year or so...wasn't necessary speaking about just a screen issue, but total overall insurance should something go wrong. Won't be going with the provider and pay the $120 per year PLUS $169 deductible....Apple Care and Square Trade offer 2 yrs for $99 I believe....sorry I was unclear about that

I have my phone thru t mobile and I have their insurance I broke my last phone and paid 100 for a replacement, I think my insurance is under 15 dollars a month

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all for your response....and I appreciate the link ChynnaBlue. Usedtobe, that is a good replacement price of $100 from T Mobile, I don't have that option with Verizon.

I know it is no big deal to get the screen protector as far as price goes, but it is a pain to bring our phones in and ask them to be put on by someone at the store. Seems that from what I've read, many have screwed them up when applying themselves....Then there is the question of going el cheapo, Verizon or the $25 or $30 protectors...I think I bought my house faster than making this decision! I haven't had an issue with the screen cracking or chipping before, but I am wondering if the 5C screen is better or less in quality than the 4S (which I never had any issues with).

As far as insurance, I think because these phones were absolutely free from Verizon that may be influencing my decision on why I don't want to pay the around $120 a year and then an additional $169 if one or both have to be replaced..or the $99 deductible for general problems. I haven't used Square Trade before but in comparing to all, that seems to be the best buy and I guess they are well established with a good reputation.

Honored Contributor

I can't stand screen protectors. I've tried them in the past.

I use an Otterbox Defender case (protects the entire phone, including screen) to protect my iPhone 4s & have since I got it going on 3 years ago. My iPhone is in perfect condition because of it. Even though I am very careful with my cell, I am sure it would have been broken w/o the good case. I got my Otterbox at a great price through Amazon & it has been replaced by Otterbox twice when the case wore out or got cracked.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/23/2014 willdob3 said:

I can't stand screen protectors. I've tried them in the past.

I use an Otterbox Defender case (protects the entire phone, including screen) to protect my iPhone 4s & have since I got it going on 3 years ago. My iPhone is in perfect condition because of it. Even though I am very careful with my cell, I am sure it would have been broken w/o the good case. I got my Otterbox at a great price through Amazon & it has been replaced by Otterbox twice when the case wore out or got cracked.

I agree - I think it really comes down to that I don't like the screen protectors. My iPhone 4S is still in perfect condition and its been 2.5 yrs without a screen protector, but I'm thinking I may have been lucky. I'll have to take a look at the Otterbox in stores and check out Amazon as well on pricing. Good to know that there were no issues with replacement 2 times. Thank you!

Honored Contributor

I don't even know what they are, but then again a cell phone to me is more like a clock for me than a telephone. It's major use for me is to know the exact time of the day to make sure in coordinates with that of the ice rink. At $3.65 per minute ain't no way we aren't going to be on the same exact time.

hckynut(john)